C21: The Light Above The Water

Dave Brown. A bachelor, a photographer, an idea, a concept, a man and one of my closest friends.

Originally he derived from England but since resided in Los Angeles, America and had for a couple of years now. He was to present me a home, where I would stay with him for a year.

For all intensive purposes I was staying to complete my new novel that my publisher expected within a year. Nobody could prove the part of me that was hoping to run into Noel and convince him to come back to me. That was just some fantasy and I had to lower my hopes and expectations.

It was just some fantasy until Dave decided to make it a reality without even realising.

"You know how you talk about this Noel guy twenty four seven?" He boomed, his British accent still clear as day.

"I thought you wanted me to forget about him?" I grumbled.

"Well yeah but he's performing here right now. Spider, right? That's his stage name. I know he lives here and all but this is the last couple of concerts of his tour. We should check one out so I can see what the hype is all about" He leant against the kitchen counter with a smirk, holding his hands together.

"If he so much as spots me in that audience..."

"Who cares?! Look if you need convincing..."

He stepped back and frantically began searching for something. He lifted the fruit bowl and brought out a fresh newspaper, the object he was looking for. He opened it up and flipped through a couple of pages before turning it to me. I examined the page he had landed on, it was an advertisement using the entire page to promote Noel's tour. His face was large and stunned, those eyes could tranquillise any man and it brought me great pleasure to understand they had used the real electrifying blue of his eyes without any effect. The colours of his album artwork surrounded him and the details about the last performances in LA were down the bottom. It wasn't until I saw the header I choked.

"A Star Is Born?"

He grinned, tearing it away from my eyes and facing it back to him.

"From the remnants of his broken band the brilliant lead singer rises from the ash and rubble and thus an even bigger star is born.... Join him on tour blah blah..." Dave read aloud, "That's the name of his tour, Julian. He practically begging for your attention!"

"Or maybe he just really liked the movie and wanted to shed light on it?"

"Bullshit. You told me yourself he barely paid attention. He was all over you from what I can remember" Dave scoffed and rolled his eyes.

He put down the newspaper and stared me in the eyes as if pleading for me to give in.

"Why are you so desperate to go anyway?" I enquired, raising an eyebrow.

"Okay, look, I lied. I already have tickets, backstage pass too. I'm the photographer of the event" Dave admitted, "It's where I'll be the next couple of nights and during the final concert I can bring a friend. Please come, please"

"You lied to me, you scum" I over-dramatically snapped in a joking manner.

"Fuck off" He chuckled and I grinned back him.

"No, wow. That's such a big job you've landed, I'm impressed"

"It's not my first time working for the band... I should've told you. I'm sorry"

"No, it's okay" I shook my head, "I'll come, I'm just worried"

"Don't be"

***