Teaming Up

I get a text from an unknown number.

Lizzie, this is Nick Fury. We need you to come to our new Avengers Compound. We're assembling a new team and we want you and Yelena on it. We need to train you both with your teammates as soon as possible as we want to be ready for any incoming threat. We are sending someone to collect you both in thirty minutes. Meet at the curb of your apartment. Bring your combat suits, training clothes, and any weapons or things you might need for training and bring whatever you'll need to since you'll be staying here for a while.

What the heck?! They want me and Yelena to join the new Avengers team?! What this is crazy?! I thought that after Thanos and Wanda I guess, all of the major Avenger needing level threats were eliminated. But noooooo there's apparently another big threat coming. Great. Just great. I thought I was done with this superhero business. I guess the job's never really finished.

"Hey Lizzie, did you get a text from Nick Fury about a new Avengers team?" asks Yelena from her room next to mine in the apartment. "Yeah! It's weird!" I say loudly.

Sometimes we're too lazy to walk out of our rooms and meet in our living room area so we just shout at each other. It's kinda funny.

"I'm guessing we'd better do it unless we want Nick to hunt us down until we do," I say. "Sounds about right!" replies Yelena.

I grab a duffel bag and start filling it with everything I need. I decide to wear my combat suit there just incase the other team members are doing the same and I won't know until I arrive and see them.

I'm also wondering who my new teammates are. I mean, I've always wondered where Nick finds all of these enhanced people or people like Clint and Kate, who are incredible enough at something to make the team with enhanced people.

Yelena comes out of her room and into mine. She sits on my bed next to me as I lace up my tennis shoes.

"You ready? Everything packed?" she asks. "Always," I say. "Mhmm, sure. You know, I seem to have this memory of a little four year old girl running through the house trying to find her shoes and jacket right before we went out somewhere. And that happened almost every time," says Yelena. I smile at those memories.

I was always the least prepared one. Until that one night where I actually had my shoes on for once in my life. Yelena was the one without shoes that night.

"And I seem to remember that when we went on that "adventure" you were the only one without shoes," I say using air quotes around adventure.

"Dad told me I didn't need them!" protests Yelena. I shove her a little saying, "And you believed him?" "I was six!" retorts Yelena as she playfully shoves me back. "Touché," I reply.

"Alright, we're getting picked up in a few minutes and we're on the fourth floor of a building with no elevator. Let's head downstairs, yeah?" says Yelena. "Okay," I say bouncing off my bed and onto my feet. Yelena tosses me my bag and I catch it.

After grabbing her bag, Yelena and I stop at the doorway and face our apartment. "See you soon," we say.

We lock up and I say "Race you?" "Every time!" shouts Yelena as she takes off down the stairs. I slide down the railing to get in front of her.

"No fair!" shouts Yelena as she runs so fast that she jumps and skips a few steps. "We never made any rules, so yes fair!" I yell as I'm two flights below her.

"We really need to get on that!" yells Yelena. "After we get back alive then sure!" I shout.

I always use the railings or jump over the last five steps or so. It speeds up the process a lot. Yelena is closing in and she's only one flight away from me. I'm seven steps from winning and I somewhat stupidly use my enhancements to my advantage and leap over all seven of them and land on my feet.