Eren pondered, "Let's just say red isn't the best hair color on him."

Jean wheezed, "You're sick."

Eren shrugged, "He pissed me off. Did you see her arm? I should've snapped his in half for that."

Jean shivered a bit, "I did. And I'll kill that douchebag whenever I see him next. Thanks for keeping her safe. I owe you one." Eren shook his head and Jean then asked, "What did he want from her anyway?"

Eren once again shrugged as if he had no clue, which was quite the opposite—he knew far more than anyone else did. "Dunno. Shouldn't you be asking her? She's your girlfriend after all."

Jean scratched the back of his neck, "About that. We're on a break."

Eren felt a strange sensation running up his back, "What? Since when?

"A week," Jean groaned. "We agreed to split up for a bit. Timing was just off, y'know."

Nodding, Eren felt warm, almost like he was relieved. Hold up, why did he even think that? Jean's his fucking best friend.

"That's too bad," Eren focused on his avatar on the screen. "You better get your act together though if you want any girl."

Jean frowned a little humorously before defending himself, "What are you talking about?"

"I could take a guess on why she wants a break," the clicks and taps of his controller played behind Eren's lecture. "It starts with Mi and ends with sa."

Jean's eyes darted from their corners towards his friend, all chill and laid back as he continued to play the game. "Mikasa has nothing to do with me and Y/n."

"Yeah, okay," sarcasm slipped from his lips like a name of a familiar comrade.

"I'm serious, Mikasa and I are just friends. I'm over her, I've tried burying my feelings and I know I'll get there eventually, especially because she's in love with you. But I think the chance of losing Y/n, it made me want to fight even more for her."

Eren stiffened in his seat, "Right. Which is good." The words weren't as honeyed as he wanted them to be, "Better be quick or else you're not getting anybody."

Jean flung his arm out to punch Eren at his horrible attempt of a joke. And just like that, the two best friends went back to playfighting and playing videogames like before.

* * * * *

Curled up in bed, you were reading a book you'd been meaning to finish for a while now. Although you were at a party earlier, it proved to be a lot more draining than it needed to be.

Your phone started buzzing, frightening you to the point of nearly falling from the bed. When you the read the contact name—

"Mace?"

"Hi, how are you?" your brother greeted you.

"I'm . . . good. What about you?" you looked around. "Is everything alright? It's really late."

"I'm okay," he replied. "Lara and I are back together."

You blinked, unsure why he felt the need to call you at one in the morning to tell you he got back with his psycho ex.

"And she told me something interesting," he ominously said.

Suddenly, your heart stopped. Now you knew why he called—it had only been a few hours. How could you forget?

"What the fuck are you doing at parties and with Eren Jaeger?" he lowly growled. "Do you even know anything about that asshole? He's bad news."

You could feel your chest tightening, "I'm not dating him. Why would you believe anything that comes out of Lara's mouth. You know I don't lie. I barely know the kid. I just have some friends who know him."