Chapter 12

We exchanged our Swiss francs for French francs and got a room. I was shocked at how much money we have left, there wasn't much left. "There would be enough for us to get lunch tomorrow, and the tickets for the ferry" Gretchen said, looking at the money in her purse.

________

I woke up and wrapped my arm around Gretchen's waist and pulled her closer to me. I gave her a kiss on the back and she groaned before speaking "Daniel?" in a tired voice.

"You're awake?" I said, slightly surprised that she was awake due to the train ride and getting here three in the morning. Gretchen sat up and looked at the clock
"Only 6?" She said shocked. I was taken aback since she was in day clothes, not including her coat, not her nightdress. But we went to bed in day clothes, although I took my over coat off, so I slept in my undershirt and my trousers.

She grabbed some clothes and got changed in the bathroom. She came out in a navy woollen dress before. It went down to her knees, she also wore boots I've also never seen before. Gretchen gave me a look "What?" I asked.
"What's with that look?" She asked "Do I look bad?" She said slightly panicked
I laughed "No, you look beautiful" I said, giving her a grin. I went over to her and wrapped my arm around her waist, pulling her closer to me "I've just never seen you wear these before; it looks beautiful on you" I said, pressing my lips to hers. Gretchen placed her hands on my shoulders, pulling me lower to meet her level, deepening the kiss.

I pulled back slightly, looking into Gretchen's deep navy blue eyes; they were like a deep ocean. "I'll go out to find something to eat for breakfast, or do you want to go out at 8?" She asked.
"We should go at 8" I said, hating the idea of her walking around by herself in a place which we've never been. I was aware that it was rather over protective; much like I am with my little sisters, only in a more brotherly way.

Gretchen's voice snapped me out of my thoughts "you should get changed into new clothes, I'm sure it would be most comfortable" Gretchen said. I nodded and grabbed the suit case.

Once I got ready, she started to read and sat against my chest. I was reading from over her shoulders. After two hours, Gretchen looked up and saw that it was time to go "Oh, it's 8" she said, straightening up.
I got up and we went out to a small café and had a small breakfast. Gretchen looked in her pocket and saw she only had a few French francs left after buying tickets for a train at Portsmouth to get to Oxford, and the ferry tickets.

We returned to the inn room "We are getting low on money" She said once we sat on the bed. She sighed and laid down on the bed and I laid down next to her, laying my head on her chest, taken by surprise at my actions. I didn't really know what to do; I stayed still "Gretchen?" I said "May I ask how you know how to pick locks? I understand if you don't want to talk about it" I muttered, understanding that she might have done something in her past.

She let out a heavy sigh, her chest raising as she breathed in, and falling as she breathed out "I guess it's only natural for you want to know, after all, it isn't an everyday skill" She sighed "I'm sure you are aware that Germany has a bad economy, but it's improving. Anyway, my father was a shoe maker, working for a company, therefore, we didn't earn lot's of money, and my mother didn't work at the time. I lived in a small two bedroom apartment" She explained, taking in a shaking breath "You could imagine that there were days my family and I went to bed hungry, especially in winter...." Her voice cracking at end. I let her regain her composer "During winter our apartment would have icicles on the walls. Sometimes my father and I would go down to the boiler, we would unlock the door and steal some coal to get warm" Her voice completely cracking.

Her chest raising and falling fast, I turned over and saw that she had a few tears going down her face. I reached out and cupped her face "Gretchen, you have nothing to be ashamed about, sure stealing is wrong, but freezing to death isn't right either. You were simply trying survive" I muttered, I leaned forward and kissed her mouth, more passionate than ever before.