Gaze

"There's my girl!"

"There's my girl!"

The familiar voice of Mama Ruth, the middle-aged east coast native greets her brightly despite it being almost 4 am. Her long salt and pepper loc's are piled up in a tight bun at the top of her head, wrapped in a colorfully patterned scarf that's tied at her nape. Deja's smile immediately widens at the sight of her oldest friend, walking into the family-owned establishment. She shakes the excess rain from her coat as she removed it at the door, draping it over her arm proceeded.

Well, more so limping in her Steve Madden sneakers, lugging her matching bag on her shoulder as if it were full of bricks. Mama Ruth frowns at the stiffness in Deja's step, emerging further from the kitchen.

"You must have put on a helluva show tonight..." she remarks as Deja approached her normal seat at the bar, setting her rain cost down beside her. Ruth comes to stand across from her, regarding her with concern as she dried her slightly wrinkled hands on a clean dish towel.

"You know that's all I do, Mama...oooh ow ow ow.." Deja winces as she attempted to hop up on the barstool. Being sore after a night of entertainment was normal but the maternal concern in Ruth's eyes was always comforting considering she never experienced it before moving here.

Or ever as far as she could remember.

"Mmmhmm...Well, hurry up and sit down....here let me take your bag." Mama Ruth reaches over the bar just as Deja sets the heavy backpack down.

"I got it Mama..." she insists as she unzips it to retrieve a black leather-bound sketchbook and a matte silver pencil case, both items tucked casually between her makeup bag, toiletries, and the several stacks of cash that totaled over $10K in assorted bills, all wrapped in rubber bands.

Catching a glimpse of the money, Mama Ruth's eyes widen and she immediately snatches the bag from the bar.

"Girl give me that.....you shouldn't be walking around with all of this. You know this neighborhood is crazy..." she scolds her mildly and Deja smirks in amusement as she finds comfort in her seat.

"That's why I come straight here every night because I know I'm safe...plus I'm going to the bank today so I won't have that for long. " She shrugs, making Mama Ruth roll her eyes as she grunts at the weight of Deja's bag. She lifts it just enough to clear the bar and kneels to place it on the hidden shelf on the working side, pushing some items aside to accommodate it. As she straightens up, she huffs softly from the exertion, tossing the small towel over her shoulder and putting her hand on her hips.

"Good! It's right under here when you're ready to go home. Staying long?" she asks.

"Thank you..and I don't think so...I probably need to soak in a tub for a few hours or something before going to bed. Got any aspirin by chance?"

Ruth nods with a knowing smirk of her own.

"Being on my feet since 3 am yesterday, you know I do. But first..you hungry?"