"13:00, Jean-Luc," Nakamura reminded him. "And I expect to see you here on time."

As soon as the channel was disconnected, the door to Admiral Nakamura's office chimed.

"Enter," he called out.

A lanky man with cropped brown hair stepped inside.

"Admiral," he nodded.

"Ah! Maddox, come in," Admiral Nakamura said as he waved in the cyberneticist.

As Bruce Maddox slipped into the seat on the opposite side of the desk, Admiral Nakamura snapped his fingers as he remembered something.

"Shoot," Nakamura commented.

"I can come back if this is a bad time," Maddox offered.

Nakamura shook his head.

"No, no," the Admiral said. "I just got off a subspace channel with the Enterprise. I should have mentioned the additional crew rotation change to Captain Picard."

"Actually, it's for the best that you didn't," Maddox said. "In fact, that's what I came to speak with you about. I think it's important that we keep the details of that secret until the Enterprise has landed."

Maddox handed Admiral Nakamura a tablet.

"Is it really this much of a threat?" Nakamura asked as he scanned the document.

Admiral Nakamura had heard of Starfleet's android officer. Though he had never met Lieutenant Commander Data, Jean-Luc had spoken highly of it.

But if this report from the office of Admiral Josiah Walsh was to be believed, then Starbase 173 could be at great risk.

"We can't be certain," Maddox replied. "As you can see from this report, he could do irreparable damage in a short amount of time."

Nakamura's face darkened as he skimmed the findings of the report.

"I believe it is necessary that we detain Lieutenant Commander Data immediately upon his arrival," Maddox warned. "We need to verify his identity. And ensure that whatever programming malfunction led to this rogue android Lore does not repeat itself."

Nakamura nodded as he handed the tablet back.

"Admiral Walsh is considered one of the leading Tactical experts," Nakamura said.

"We believe that the information we learn from Data will be vital to understanding Lore," Maddox explained. "And the rewards of my research will be rich."

Maddox smiled.

"Imagine a whole army of androids available for all sorts of tasks," Maddox said. "No more menial tasks. Dangerous missions would be a thing of the past. The days of humanoid officers risking their lives to strip old ships or mine deuterium are over."

"It is a thrilling prospect," Nakamura concurred.

"A workforce capable of performing such jobs faster and more efficiently," Maddox went on. "A workforce that never needs to be fed, that doesn't have to stop to sleep."

Maddox chuckled.

"And I'm going to build it," he declared.

-X-

Data wanted nothing more than to sleep – to curl up safe and warm, tucked away under his favourite blanket, secure in Tasha's arms.

According to his internal chronometer, it was after 08:30 hours.

The sun had still not risen and the bitter cold that had settled in overnight lingered.

Geordi shivered against the cold.