Chapter Twenty-One

Three months later...

Aalya's POV

I've been scared a lot in my life, and most of that fear was caused by one man.

Said man is now sitting in front of me, and even Xander's warm hand in mine is doing nothing to calm my racing heart.

Carter.

At least he's tied up. I don't care how unconscious he is, I refused to be around him unless he was bolted to the floor.

I'm putting all my faith in those iron chains right now. 

The iron chains built into the walls of cells under the pack house. 

"How did he get here?" I ask Xander.

"He was found prowling near the boarder of our territory, little mate. He's a rogue." Xander's voice barely registers before my knees weaken. 

He catches me, lifting me up into his arms. 

"I'm sorry, baby. I knew this would upset you, I just thought-" He cuts himself off, carrying me out of the dungeon. "I thought you'd want to know that justice is served." He says, setting me on my feet. He cups my cheeks like I'm made of glass, looking down into my eyes. "We love you so much, baby, and if you don't want to watch, you don't have to." 

Xander's eyes start flickering colors, and I finally understand what he's trying to say. 

I don't want to watch. 

But I'm finally at peace. 

Because it doesn't take much effort to stand in the hall and listen to them shred Carter apart as wolves.

I walk outside, soaking in the sun, tilting my face up to the sky. 

Xavier would have a fit if he saw me outside on my own, and the thought makes me laugh. 

Silly Alpha duties, distracting them all the time.

I sit down on one of the picnic blankets lining the park we cleared out when I decided the pups of our pack needed a place to play.

I rub the small bump on my belly, smiling.

I look up at the sky.

And I know I'm finally free.