Chapter Fourteen

Madison rang Rosalie the next morning. She had only realised that morning that the blonde never told her the second reason for revealing her secret. She wouldn't lie and say she still wasn't scared of the Cullens and what they could do, but she needed answers. If her sister was going to remain involved with Edward, she needed to know everything.

"Madison," Rosalie breathed out, her voice tinny through the phone.

"Rosalie, can we meet somewhere? I need some answers," Madison bluntly asked.

There was some shuffling on the other line.

"Of course, where would you like to meet?"

"Carver's Cafe."

Madison had fully prepared herself to walk, but seeing the truck still in the driveway and Bella presumably at school Madison squealed internally. She hated walking alone, especially with what had happened in Port Angeles. Haphazardly tossing her purse across the car seats, Madison peeled out of the driveway. She wanted to get to Carver's as fast as possible, wanting answers sooner rather than later. She may have broken a few road laws, and earned a few fingers and headshakes, but Madison arrived at Carver's before Rosalie. The two had decided to skip school, agreeing that this conversation was more important than one day of school. Though, for Madison, it had been many.

Walking inside Madison grinned at Cora. The vibe of Carver's was more solemn than usual, the community mourning the loss of Waylon Forge. He had been killed the same night of Madison's assault. She went and paid her respects to the small plaque and tribute to Waylon. While she barely remembered him, he was her father's friend for many decades. She smiled at a few truckers and fishermen who had yet to start their or had more than likely just finished. She found a table for two hidden away from prying eyes and ears. It wasn't completely isolated, but that was probably safer. At least, if they were quiet, no one would hear about the creatures that go bump in the night.

Rosalie walked through the doors not long after Madison had seated herself. Her hair almost glowed under the lights and Madison had to force herself to breathe. She scolded herself for being attracted to a vampire, and a girl at that.

Rosalie's eyes searched through the crowd for a few seconds, flittering around, until they landed on Madison's. Her hair was slightly greasier than usual, and bags had swelled under her eyes, but Rosalie still thought she looked beautiful. Like a painting from one of the greats.

Rosalie walked towards Madison, nowhere near as warm to the strangers around her. She did, however, place a small bundle of flowers at Waylon's tribute. She was cold, not heartless. Finally reaching the brunette human, Rosalie offered a small smile. Madison offered a shaky one in return.

After sitting, there was a pregnant pause. Neither was quite sure how to start. Madison cleared her throat, deciding she needed answers more than she needed comfort, at least until she next saw Bella.

"I-" she paused, "what was the second reason you told me your secret?"

Rosalie's smile dropped. She had hoped this question would come later, or not at all, hoping to not stress out Madison further.

"Do you remember how I told you that vampires have mates?"

Madison nodded.

"Well... you and I are mates. Soulmates, really. We tend to shorten the word, but you can use whatever you prefer. Or none at all, if that's what you want," Rosalie whispered, her gaze locked on the table.

Madison gaped at the woman in front of her.

"We're mated? How does that even work? Are we even in control of what we feel towards each other? Can we feel anger, true anger, or just surface-level annoyance?" Madison rambled.

"Um, Carlisle believes it's God's Wish that we have mates, but no one knows for sure. I don't have any particular theories. We control everything we feel, other than the pull. We can feel immense anger, to the point that the bond can be shattered. I've seen Dominque give Emmett the silent treatment for 6 months when he accidentally soaked her. If it wasn't for how miserable they both were, it would have been immensely amusing," Rosalie almost laughed.

Madison let out a breath of relief.

"How are we mates? I like boys, I've always liked boys, and I'll always like boys," Madison denied, shaking her head.

"Madison, who's your celebrity crush?"

The brunette paused. The first person that came to mind was Natalie Portman, specifically as Padma in star wars.

"Leonardo Dicaprio," she forced out, sounding forced.

"Really? Another thing about vampires, we can tell when someone's lying by their heartbeat. It speeds up slightly. So, Madison, who is your celebrity crush?" Rosalie whispered, her voice thick and heavy.

Madison gulped.

"N-Natalie Portman," she confessed.

She felt like she had been punched in the gut. She cringed back from her words, hiding her face from Rosalie.

"She is gorgeous, isn't she," Rosalie almost sighed.

Madison's head shot up. She knew that Rosalie had to be attracted to women, especially with the talk of mates and how hard she pushed, but it still surprised her.

"I'm more of a Carrie Fisher fan myself, but Natalie is beautiful."

Madison laughed. She had never had anyone to talk to about celebrities honestly with before. She could have told Bella, but she had tried to push aside her sexuality for so long that she felt ashamed.

Rosalie smiled gently at Madison.

"We can start as friends, you know? Just because we're mates doesn't mean we have to jump into a relationship like Bella and Edward," Rosalie re-assured.

Madison whispered an okay.

The girls stayed at Carver's for most of the day, not willing to leave each other's presence before they had to. Rosalie answered all of Madison's questions. How to turn, if you have to be dying, the Cullen's powers (Jasper and his ability to feel and manipulate emotions, Edward reading minds, and Alice seeing the future), and tales of her adventures over her long life.

Eventually, as the after-school rush started, Madison and Rosalie parted ways. They agreed to meet sometime soon, outside of school. Madison felt like a weight had been lifted off of her chest as she drove home. She found Bella getting out of Edward's Volvo when she got home, smiling at the duo.

'I know you don't fully control it, but please try and stay out of my head Edward,' Madison thought, waving at him as he drove away.

"Mads, you're okay!" Bella cried, pulling Madison into her chest when the latter exited the car.

"Woah, Belly, what's up?"

"I-I didn't see the car here when I got home and I heard you crying last night. I was worried you'd left or..."

Bella didn't need to finish her sentence.

"Belly, I would never do something like that. Not without seeking help first," Madison comforted, holding Bella away from herself to look in the younger sister's eyes.

Bella nodded, staring at the very interesting concrete. She was ashamed.

"Now, you wanna tell me all about Edward Cullen driving you to and from school?"