22: Rule Breakers

Depuis le début

"That won't be fair to him, Yazeed. This man has been asking you for my number, which you didn't give him. And now Allah has finally blessed him, I can't do this to him. You need to see how happy he was that we could have this date..." She wasn't able to complete her sentence when Yazeed pulled her hand and he walked them out of the house. He locked the door and pointed at the car for her.

"Get into the car and stop being sentimental over that call." She stared at him with utter astonishment and shook her head, she was still being stubborn. She wanted to go out with Jibril, not Yazeed. Because she wanted to have a time of herself, the time where she could be herself and laugh until she shed tears of joy. But she knew with this version of Yazeed, she had to behave herself, be cautious of the words she would utter not to further destroy his mood.

He sat in the car and was staring at how she kept looking at the gate, probably waiting for Jibril's car to get into the estate. He honked aggressively that it shook Jalilah and she had no choice but to get into the car, she knew with this angry Yazeed, he can even lift her and take her to the car. She entered the car and glared at him before she buckled her seat belt. "But you know this isn't fair for him, right? What do I have to tell him then? I'm sure he's there eagerly waiting for our agreed time, Yazeed." She didn't know how she had gotten used to calling him Yazeed that she didn't find it awkward.

"Call him and tell him the people you live with had already planned the weekend for you, you're only knowing it when you mentioned it to her that you're going out. Or did you tell him we stay together?" He stared at her through his peripheral view and he didn't miss the pout on her lips.

"Oh come on, how could I tell him I stay with you? Of all the people to stay within Lagos? I would have been unfortunate to choose you. I'd tell him that, because I've already told him I stayed with my aunty." She picked up her phone and before she dialled his number, she heard Yazeed's voice.

"You would have been unfortunate, Jalilah? That means you're unfortunate now?" He asked, and she looked up at him with a surprised smile.

"That's what I said? Maybe that's what's in my mind. I won't apologize to you either, because you know the kind of person you are." She rolled her eyes at him and dialled Jibril's number, painting a very beautiful smile on her lips. She didn't know what Jibril took of their relationship, but she took him as a friend. A very good friend at that. Because with him, she had someone she could talk to, not just Farha and sometimes Wafiyya.

"Hello, Jibril." She said excitedly after he picked up the phone, smiling while she played with the designs on her gown.

"Hey, Jalilah. I've been meaning to call you but I couldn't have the courage to. How are you?" His voice sounded down, and she wondered what was wrong with him. It had just been two days since they started talking over the phone, and so far she would say they were good.

"Oh my god, what's wrong with you? Are you sick? Have you gone to the hospital? You soun-" the way she was speaking with distraught and worry altogether, she didn't know when Yazeed abruptly moved the car sideways and she banged her head.

"Come on! You don't have to be this violent!" She whined, looking at him. He wasn't looking at her but she knew he did that on purpose. She turned her attention to Jibril with an apology on her lips, "Sorry, Jibril, I got carried away. I hope you're okay? You didn't sound yourself."

Yazeed was silent until she was done with the phone call and he turned to look at her for a second before he turned his attention back on the road. "What did he say? That he's going to die because you couldn't make it to the date?" There was something he needed to control in him, but every time he tried, he couldn't do that.

She sighed and shook her head, "It was such a pity, he sounded so heartbroken but the only thing I'm glad about is, when I called him he was trying to call me too and inform me that his father had sent him yet on another errand, he won't be able to be there at our fixed time, he would be late. But, after I told him I couldn't make it, he promised to take me out when next he comes back to Lagos because he's leaving...wait, why am I even telling you this? It's between me and my..." And she trailed off again, not knowing what she would refer to Jibril as in her life.