10: Words And Embers

Start from the beginning

She had heard that sometimes some words were so loud that you could feel them as though they were thunderstorms. She didn't know when she took two steps away from him and took a full view of his face. She couldn't believe those words had fallen out of his lips. This wasn't the person she knew, he had changed, she no more recognized him. 'How could I? Of all the girls to love, stoop so low to fall for you?' Is this what he thought of her? What the hell was she thinking?

She didn't know that she was crying until she tasted the salty liquid of her tears on her lips, and she quickly wiped them away. It wasn't like they were in love for her to keep staring at him and not speak back about something she didn't know and didn't even think of doing. She had to speak for herself, even if that meant she would have to register for NYSC next year.

"I won't say I'm surprised because your words just told me who you are. Are you naturally this judgmental or you just to be like this now? I told you, I don't know who did this nor did I see this before you showed it to me. What's wrong with you as well? Just because you're my boss doesn't mean you can accuse me of doing something I know I didn't do and I'll stare at you and say nothing. For the first and last time, I wasn't the one that gave those blogs our picture..." She puffed out an angry breath and looked away, palming her face before she turned back to him with her face brewing with wrath.

"I mean, saying 'our' picture feels so haram and disgusting. Go and find out about who posted your picture without your consent and about the caption? To hell with love and everything related to it. Do you think that love is that cheap and easy for me? Do you think even if I were to fall in love, I'd fall for you as well? Don't think so highly of yourself because you feel privileged you're the son of the CEO. You know what? Yazeed Adam Bunza, I don't give a freak. Be the son of the president of Nigeria for I care!" She spatted out and this time, she couldn't hold back her tears, she kept wiping her tears but more kept gushing out of her eyes. She wasn't crying because she was fighting with him, no, she was crying because she was so angry and it was either for her to cry or hit something. And she chose the former.

Yazeed was about to speak when Sulaiman held his shoulder and spoke instead, "I think this is all a misunderstanding, Yazeed. She told you that she didn't know about it either, the best thing is for you to find a way of taking the posts down-"

Yazeed cut him off because he had never been this angry all his life. "What do you mean by a misunderstanding? This girl knew exactly what she was doing. How could the blogs have a picture of what is only in our phones? I'm sure Wafiyya won't do such a thing, neither you nor Ilham, not to even speak about myself. Only her pathetic-love searching and attention-seeking self could do that. And you should better go to those blogs and ask them to take it down."

Ya Rabb, where should she hit so hard on his body so he could feel the exact pain she was feeling? What the hell was wrong with Yazeed? She cleared her tears and tried for the moments she was about to speak, she wouldn't shed a tear.

"Really? Pathetic-love searching and attention-seeking self. You know what Yazeed? You're so full of yourself that it's making me nauseous. How could you think that out of all the people to search love in, I'd search for it where is so empty? You don't have the kind of love I need in people. You lack love yourself to even give it to your significant other. And what the hell made you think that if I wanted to seek for attention, I could do that with your face? Imagine, your face? I'm better than that, please. Also, don't try doing anything bad with me, because wallah I'm not as nice as I appear to be." She rolled her eyes so fierce at him that she knew if she had knives in her eyes, he would have been dead by now.

She turned to Sulaiman with a tired look and her eyes pooling with tears, yet again. "HR, can I have the day off, please? It's so sickening here, and I feel so disgusted with myself to have once associated myself with him."