12

Aurelia gave Oxygen a victorious grin and was untying the ropes which were tied in his limbs. It was, of course, a victorious day for them. It took nearly sixty-six months to nab a criminal. It took sixty-six months to hit the jackpot. Everything is settled now. But Oxygen's mind was full of unsettled questions.

Yes, Max was the criminal. But Aurelia was the one who provoked him. She was the one who portrayed herself as vulnerable and provoked him. And now, she hasn't uttered a word about that phone call which changed everything.

And Oxygen can't wait to get the answer.

As Aurelia untied him, he stood up with difficulty and faced her.

"Lya. Will you answer my question?" Oxygen asked.

"What is it, Oxygen?" Aurelia asked.

"Well, do you have any idea about the reason why Max did the treason?" Oxygen asked.

"Yeah. For Adrienne," she said.

"I didn't mean that. I mean, do you know why he chose to do the treason?" He asked again.

"Ummm... Of course, for money!" She replied. "If not for money, then what else can he do?"

"You," said Oxygen.

"Me?" asked Aurelia.

"Yes. It was because of you. You provoked him," said Oxygen

"Oxygen, what happened to you? Did you become nuts?"

"I am not, Lya. He told me that you were the reason for his—"

"I know what he said. I get your point. But, let me explain," she said, while Oxygen allowed her to do so.

She took out her mobile from her jeans pocket and was searching for something in it. She then said to Oxygen, "Listen to this." And gave him her mobile. Oxygen took it and saw that she opened a voice message for her. He clicked on the play button and heard it.

***

FIVE YEARS AGO...

"Sorry," Lya murmured, as she realized that Max was also British.

"That's fine, baby! I must be sorry for that," said Max.

"That's okay, Max. And... Life took a drastic turnover. I thought I would have everything on my checklist done, but now it's impossible. Sometimes, I used to hate myself for my job. Like, why should I choose to go as a spy, instead of continuing to pursue my dream? And, most of the time, I feel like why should I do a job when nothing is coming in return? What will I have as my source of income when I get married? Once, I was almost typing my letter of resignation!" She paused, while there was no sound from Max's side too.

"But," she continued. "On the other hand, while thinking about my days as a spy, I can never forget. I learnt many life lessons as a spy, and life would've been unimaginable without a lover like you. I could never afford to lose a guy like you. And I swear. I wouldn't have got a family like this agency. Secondly, this was the path I chose. So, I'm the one to face all pros and cons of my job, and I am happy about that. Then, the thought of leaving this itself makes my heart wrench like anything. This made me realize how close I have become to this family. Yes, I've lost my parents and a brother. But in return, God has given me many well-wishers, who give me so much love until I get fed up. That's what I want, Max. That's the exact thing I used to dream of when there was nothing and nobody with me. Compared to this, financial matters don't matter to me. I can still live happily with it." She concluded, expecting an answer from him.

"Baby?" She called but there was no response from his side. "Max?" No reply. "Max Richards?" Still no reply. "Agent Potassium, are you there?" No reply till then.