15. Rocky Mountains

Start from the beginning

Was he there for me?

Had my time finally come?

He gazed around, then settled on me.

"Come with me. You're going home."

It was over. An incredible sense of relief washed over me. I was eighteen. I was free. I could leave home and do as I pleased, from here on out.

We walked down the hallway toward the front desk. My joy instantly vanished. Anger washed over me. My parents were sitting on a sofa in the reception area. There were there to pick me up.

Hell no.

My mom saw me first. She stood and walked toward me to give me a hug.

"Don't touch me."

She took a step back with a hurt expression on her face.

I didn't care if I hurt her. Not after all the pain they'd caused me.

My dad stepped forward.

"You're coming home son."

"Don't talk to me. I can't believe you did that to me."

"It was for your own good."

We all stood there in an awkward silence as the administrator had my dad sign release paperwork. They retrieved my diploma and handed it to me. I glanced at it for one second then with disdain, set it on the counter and left it there.

"You guys are all set to go. I'll call the security guard and have him open the gate for you."

We walked outside to the parking lot. My parents got into a rental car. I kept going toward the gate on foot.

"Get in the car son."

"Just go away. Leave me alone. I'm not going home with you."

"Don't be so dramatic. Of course, you're coming with us. You have no money or anywhere to stay. Get in the car, we're going home."

"No. I don't want to talk to you or see you ever again. I'm eighteen now. You can't tell me what to do anymore. I'm leaving and I'm not ever coming back."

Dad had a stern look on his face with creases running across his forehead. He got in the car and followed slowly behind me.

They rolled the windows down. My mom stuck her head out and pleaded.

"Please get in the car Oliver. Let's just fly back to Rochester and we can talk about this at home."

I got to the guard booth at the gate. The guard had a confused look seeing me on foot with my parents following in the car. He picked up the phone and talked to someone for a moment, then nodded and set the phone down. He hit a button and the gate swung open. I walked through and my parents followed behind in the rental car.

"Son, get in the car right now."

"No."

My mom turned to my dad.

"Can we get him a plane ticket on another flight?"

"No, we already have a ticket for him. He can ride with us."

"I'm not going anywhere with you."

"Fine, throw your life away. Don't come crying back to me. If you go, I'm cutting you off. You're not getting another penny of my money."

Mom was freaking out.

"Honey, don't say that. You don't mean it. Give him some money, he can't just sleep on the streets like a tramp or a filthy homeless person."