Chapter 20

The clock struck three in the morning, and chilled crisp breeze had totally taken over the summer dryness. Ronil could feel the emptiness being single brings along, the unavoidable late night calls with friends instead of some girlfriend. And just like that, he was on a too-late-night phone call with Swati. Discussing their most infrequent topic, Arisha. 

"She's leaving she said" Ronil informs.

"She can't she said" Swati offers.

"I met her today, it was recent" The beginning of their one-line argument.

"I called her tonight, it is more recent" And she shoots the one-line.

"But...either way. She can't but she is"

"Trust me she won't, she said Riya needs her and Arisha wouldn't decline her no matter what"

"Yeah, mom and daughter forever" 

"Show some reverence in the way you speak"

Ronil doesn't want to continue this talk, concluding, Arisha wouldn't leave her place. Her mom, or him. He feels a full spool sorted. And finally the worry unloads him, he worried over her having a harsh time at a new place, practically living with no one and coming across people. More significantly people like Tushant. He hates Tushant. Everybody does.

"Good night"

"Sure" Swati scrunches up her nose and shrills her voice.

________________________________________________

The air inside of the house has cleared, and Riya feels the most Mom in almost a month now. Everything about her has changed, apart from the infectious smile she bore, though it is one of the rare wonders you can lay your eyes on. But something is always better than nothing. She still doesn't have control over the amount of drinks she takes, nor does she let Arisha keep a record. They do the dishes together and Riya insists to align them, though it requires a re-do later.

Tonight there is the meeting at Kunal's place, and she isn't sure if she should be going. Tushant's invitation was quiet appealing, but the five personalities of his are always to be kept in mind. He would possibly not show up, or probably all of them would end up quarreling over the project or worse, they'll cancel. The text Arisha sent Kunal, regarding the meet is still unsent, let alone read. He is extremely careless and the clock's already struck five.

Her phone screen brightens up, with the slight of hint of vibration at five-five p.m.

Kunal: If you're coming, at five. Sharp.

Her eyes roll up in agitation and head falls back. It will take more than twenty minutes. And still her question remains unanswered. Why should she even go? But...Tushant's appealing welcome can always keep her going. She loves the way he looks at her and unsuccessfully hides those infrequent smiles. The last option is put to execution and she walks around her room, down to Riya's and checks if she's lucky enough to deserve an undrunk mother for once. She slightly pushes open the door and finds Riya on her laptop.

"Mum? Are you-" Her lips don't allow her to finish.

"No, you need something. Honey?" Honey? 

She nods her head and replies, "No" Making Riya concerned down to her bones.

"I mean yeah" She said, scrapping something from her t-shirt, "Can you please drive me to my friend's place?"

"Are you asking me?" She says, and breaks into laughter, "when?"

"Just now"

"Sure" It will take ten minutes now. A sphere of relief fills her eyes and she hands in the keys to Riya.