𝟬𝟬𝟱 i don't want to hurt you anymore

chapter five

chapter five

i don't want to hurt you anymore

june 30th, 1985

A few days had passed since steve had come to bring soup to jane. she had been trying her hardest to avoid him, making sure they weren't scheduled together and being sure that she would be long gone before he came in for his shifts at scoops.

jane did feel bad though, because steve was friends with dustin and she felt like she was making dustin pick sides. but in reality, steve and jane were on the same side. they were both fighting for the same purpose -- they both want to be together. the only things stopping the two of them being together are that jane doesn't want to be hurt again, and steve feels as though he hurt jane and ruined his only chance at being with her again.

it took her a few days to swallow her pride, but here jane was, standing in her mirror staring at herself trying to decide on what to wear. her brunette hair cascaded over her shoulders and down her back. finally, the girl decided to wear a white long sleeve shirt and an overall dress, and settled on a pair of black chuck taylors. 

she nodded at herself contently before walking out of her room and making her way to the front door. jane opened the front door, being surprised with a downpour. "well, shit." she said out loud to herself. she had not been expecting for it to rain. she turned on her heel, walking into the kitchen of her home. "hey, mom? can i borrow your umbrella?" she asked her mother, who was mixing what looked like cookie dough.

"oh sure, hon! you look nice, where are you going?" claudia henderson looked up, giving her daughter a wide smile. "oh, nowhere mom. i was just going to go over to the mall and catch a movie with alice. but it's raining, so i'm just gonna go get that umbrella and i'll be home by dinner." jane began to walk out of the kitchen.

"wait, honey, let me drive you." claudia offered, washing her hands off in the sink. the girl put a hand up, "oh, no mom it's okay. the mall isn't far from here and it isn't even raining that hard out." she politely declined. her mother nodded her head slowly, letting her daughter leave.