𝟬𝟬𝟭 is dustin home?

chapter oneis dustin home?

chapter one
is dustin home?

chapter oneis dustin home?

then.
winter 1982.

Jane henderson and steve harrington had been dating for a year and a half. jane really thought that she loved steve, even though she knew that high school relationships typically don't last. steve was convinced he loved jane too, until he snapped into reality. he did think that jane was pretty, but he didn't think he actually loved her. sure, he loved being around her but maybe he just loved the idea of loving someone.

jane was sat at her lunch table with her best friends, alice whitlock and mason barlowe when steve walked over to the table, sitting down next to her. he leaned into her, whispering in her ear, "hey jane, can we talk?" steve looked at her, a serious look on his face. nodding her head, jane stood up, holding out a hand, "be back guys." she said to her two friends, before steve led her over to an empty hallway.

jane looked up at steve, "what's up? what did you want to talk about?"  steve rubbed the back of his neck, looking down at jane. "listen, this has nothing to do with you, but i think we should break up." the shorter girl's eyebrows furrowed as she looked down, nodding. "oh, um, okay." jane quickly shoved past steve and back to her friends, tears forming in her eyes.

"hey where's steve? are you okay?" mason inquired. jane shook her head, looking down as she picked at her fries, "he just broke up with me."

now

now.
summer 1985.

Jane was sat in her living room, watching the television while her brother's friends, mike, will, lucas, eleven, and max, were setting up to surprise her brother, dustin, for his arrival home from science camp. while jane was watching tv, there was a knock at the front door. the girl stood from her couch, walking to the door and opening it, only to be greeted by steve harrington.

"oh, um, hey. what are you doing here?" jane asked, leaning against the door frame.

"is dustin home from camp yet? i was going to take him and his friends to see a movie at the mall." steve replied, trying to look into the house behind jane.

"no he isn't home yet, my mom went to go pick him up. but um, you can come inside and wait for him if you want. shouldn't take long." she replied, opening the door more. nodding his head, the brunet boy walked into the house.

the two sat on opposite ends of the couch, watching the television in silence as they waited for dustin to arrive. "so, uh what show is this? i don't think i've ever seen this." steve spoke up after minutes of silence. "it's doctor who." jane replied, leaning her chin on her hand, trying her hardest to avoid looking at steve.

"look, i'm sorry. i'm sure you're still mad at me." steve looked over at jane, scooting closer to her, "jane please look at me. you have to understand that i am truly sorry."

"steve it's fine, i'm not mad at you. i haven't been mad at you in years, i was only upset with you because i thought i loved you but i guess now i've realized that i never actually did." jane replied, looking over at steve as she watched his expression fall and looking back to the tv.

"yeah, no, i get it. i didn't love you either." steve replied, scooting back over to the other side of the couch. maybe he actually did love jane, he'll never truly know his feelings. but one thing steve does know is that he wouldn't be opposed to testing the waters with jane and going out with her again.

after waiting another few minutes, the front door opened and dustin walked into the house, immediately looking into the living room where jane and steve were sat. "what the fuck?" the boy said, "this has got to be so awkward for you jane."

the girl nodded standing up, walking towards her little brother and giving him a hug, whispering to him, "you owe me big time, dustin, i just endured spending twenty minutes with him. that's worth at least five dollars." she let go of him before walking away to her room.

"dude," dustin walked over to steve, "are you still trying to get back with her?" he shoved steve's shoulder.

"i have no idea what you're talking about, henderson." steve scoffed, rolling his eyes.

"you knew i got home at 3 and you still showed up early to sit here with jane. if you wanna get with her so badly, just do it. it's embarrassing watching you struggle at this point."

written by lily.

©PCNKOWS