𝟬𝟬𝟰 go home, steve

chapter four

chapter four

go home, steve

june 27, 1985

Jane called in sick the following day. she didn't want to face steve after seeing him with another girl. sure, he technically didn't do anything wrong and he doesn't even know that she saw him kissing her...but it still really hurt her heart. the brunette girl laid in her bed, staring at the ceiling. her mother wasn't at home and dustin was with his friends at scoops, go figure. so she was all alone at home, wallowing in her self pity.

"god, why am i even mad at him?" jane sat up in her bed, wiping away the dried mascara that formed around her eyes. "i can't treat him like he cheated on me or anything, i don't even like him like that." she spoke to herself, trying to find the root of her anger with steve. or could she even call it anger? surely, a girl who was completely over her ex-boyfriend, who she claims she never loved, wouldn't get upset about him being with another girl. 

clearly, jane did love steve. the boy gave her a small glimpse of hope when he drove her home and was being sweet to her. he made it seem like he wanted her back, genuinely. but that obviously was not the case. 

"jane, do you copy?" the sound of max mayfield's voice echoed through the walkie talkie. "jane, its max. do you copy?" the girl got up from her bed and grabbed the device, speaking into it, "yeah i copy. what's up?"

"we have a situation on our hands. steve asked us why you weren't at work and dustin said you were sick." max explained frantically, almost in a hushed voice.

"okay? i don't see the issue, that is why i am at home." she faked a cough, hoping to sound sick.

"yeah, yeah, but steve is like on his way to your house with soup from that one place at the mall." the redhead spoke, sounding apologetic.

"are you fucking serious?" jane asked exasperated, pacing back and forth in her room.

"yeah...just wanted to give you a heads up."