Chapter 5

BEYONCÉ'S P.O.V

The location of the dance studio I work at is perfect. It's right beside Central Park, meaning I can spend my lunch breaks there, and even take the kids outside sometimes.

I decided to go for the more scenic route on my journey home today. I wouldn't say the weather was perfect, I mean there were a few clouds, but it seemed that all the different colours conspired to overwhelm the grey.

Taking a casual stroll through the park, I noticed various people scattered around. It wasn't too busy, I guess people were put off by the clouds, but there were still enough people to prevent there from being a noticeable void.

I watched from afar as couples, families and individual people went about their day. As I was taking a scan of those around me, two people in particular caught my eye.

I was certain that one of them was Jay, but the other was unfamiliar. Jay was lying on his back with a little girl on top of him. They seemed to be having the time of their lives, just having fun and tickling each other.I found myself unexpectedly smiling at the sight.

Eventually, I ventured towards them and stood nearby. At this point, neither of them had noticed me, so they continued to proceed doing what they were doing.

I studied their body language. Whoever the girl was, it was clear that she had a close relationship with Jay, because she seemed to be extremely comfortable around him.

"Oh, hi." Jay said, once he'd seen me, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I focused my attention back to reality and saw that he was now sitting up, with the girl on his lap.

"Hey," I friendly greeted, "who's this?" I asked, referring to the little girl.

"This is Kyra." he replied, smiling proudly at her.

"Hi, Kyra, I'm Beyoncé. It's nice to meet you!" I said, before extending my arm, for her to shake my hand.

She hesitated to respond to me, but after looking at Jay's face and earning and reassuring look from him, along with a "Go on, Ky, she won't bite.", she politely welcomed my presence. She smiled at me and then looked back at Jay.

"Can I go play on the swings?" she sweetly asked him.

He nodded, "But be careful, I'll be on the bench just there." he replied, pointing to a close bench.

She grinned widely and jumped off of his lap, prior to excitedly running away. Jay stood up and brushed his hands against his clothes, to get all the grass off. He then looked at me and walked away towards the bench, with me following. He sat down on one side, leaving enough space for me to sit too.

"So who is she to you?" I asked, after talking a seat and crossing one leg over the other.

"She's the granddaughter of my old neighbour. When I was growing up, her grandma used to help me out a lot, Kyra's like my little sister now." he replied, whilst closely observing her, to make sure she's safe.

"What did her grandma help you out with?" I questioned.

"You know, she just helped to raise me."

"What about your parents?"

"Ky, come here!" he sweetly shouted, completely avoiding my question.

Instantly, she came sprinting over as fast as possible and leaped into Jay's arms. He turned her around so that she was facing outwards, whilst sitting on his lap. She glanced over at me and after seeing my legs crossed, decided to do the same, causing me to laugh.