- Author's Cut -

Author's Cut

Set roughly seven months after the Epilogue

Benny hangs up the phone for the third time within the span of an hour. He's been trying to call his stunner to let her know he finished training a little earlier today and he wanted to do something fun, just the two of them.

He closes the front door, locking it behind him. He doesn't hear any music in the kitchen, there's no point in going in there. He doesn't find her sitting on the couch when he sets his bag down beside the couch.

He furrows his brows; he knows she hasn't left. If she did, she would have told him. So, where the hell is she? A dirty thought comes to mind. The corners of Benny's lips twitch. 'Maybe-' He walks down the hallway, determined to find her, and maybe have some "one on one" time with her. He slams the door open and tilts his head. This certainly wasn't what he was hoping to find her doing. "What are you doing?"

She gasps, spinning around, yanking her headphones off her head. "What'd you say?"

"I asked what you were doing." He enters the room, standing behind her.

She turns away from him, "nothing?"

"This doesn't look like nothing."

"It could be nothing."

"It's not if it's you who's doing it."

She narrows her eyes at him, "don't suck up to me."

"Why not? You gonna give me a red nose?"

"What about red hair?"

He pulls away from her, holding her at arm's length, "you wouldn't."

"Try me."

"Alright, alright. But- uh- seriously, what are you doing?"

She gives her response, but he can't hear her.

"What?"

"I'm... ing."

"You're what?"

"I'm painting. You can clearly see what I'm doing. Why did you have to ask?"

He smiles, pecking her temple before wrapping his arms around her shoulder, pulling her back on the stool so her back his flush with his chest.

She shrugs, "I don't know."

"You have a red handprint on here. Is that supposed to mean something?"

"No, I just- I couldn't think of anything and then I saw paint on my finger and then I thought "hey, what if you paint your hand and do a handprint" that could be something."

He chuckles, lightly rocking her back and forth. "What if you paint my hand and put it next to yours?"

"And, then what?"