Chapter Six

In been two weeks since Caden and my last time. Every other attempt, he ignored me or avoided me. And we only have one period together, and unfortunately, Noah is in that class too.

"You better bring everything to the game tonight," Noah said. I nodded my head, but I was barely paying attention to him.

I was too focused on Caden. Or maybe trying to reconnect with him is a better word choice. Shit, that sounded gay.

I blew the loose strands of hair out of my face, frustrated. Noah saw this and grinned. "A girl got you worked up?" Not really.

"Yeah, you can say that." He rested his head against his desk and fell asleep before fully understanding my answer. I huffed as Caden shifted uncomfortably on his chair. I could only see his back, but it wasn't a bad site. His dark hair looked messy like he had just woken up from a good nap. But for some reason, It was kind of attractive. That was gayer.

"Hey, are you alright?" Noah asked, waking up from his short nap.

"I didn't get much sleep last night." I lied. He just shrugged it off and went back to his sleep.

I looked over at Caden, reaching behind him for something. He looked at the guy behind him, and they started talking. Suddenly Caden turned back, and I saw a side grin on his face. What was that?

When class ended, I waited a few seconds for Noah to leave, then I perused after Caden. I caught him by the guy's bathroom, where he was about to head into. "Wait, Caden?" He looked back at me, and this time he didn't leave. "What do you want?"

My stomach turned when he looked at me. His green eyes scanned my body, and I couldn't help but feel good when they stopped on mine. "I'm a piece of shit. I know that, Caden. But please, I don't want to end what we had."

"Hmm? What did we have?" Caden's challenged, causing me to bite my lip.

"Uh-um."

"I'm just messing with you, Nathan," Caden said while smirking. "But why did you say it?" His smile dropped, and his eyes averted to the floors. I closed my eyes as I thought about the words I was about to say.

"I don't know. I just got so angry for no reason, and I guess I took it out on the nearest person next to me." I open my eyes to see a smiling Caden.

"Are we good now?" I asked. He hesitated before nodding.

A smile rose on my face. "Want to come with me to lunch?" I asked.

"Sorry, I'm going somewhere with my friends." So does he not consider me his friend?

I let him go and headed to the cafeteria. I was relieved that he had forgiven me.

*

It was night, and the game was about to start. This game was important because if we don't win this, our playoff run is over. So expectedly everyone and their moms came, but him.

Noah was doing his corny team pep talk that he does in literally any game. In contrast, I was searching the stands for someone.

"Hey, who are you looking for?" Aiden asked. I sucked in my frustration as I turned to look at him.

"Nobody."

Throughout the game, the teams were evenly matched, which was surprising. Maybe I'm a little rusty after coming back from my knee injury. But Noah's a little off today. I remember what's up with him?

There are five seconds left of the game. We have the ball at the red zone, and they scored it tied 28-28. One more touchdown would do it.

I felt my whole body sweat. So I pulled up my jersey to wipe it off. Hike. I felt more relieved when the ball touched my hand. I saw my boy Noah open and throw the ball at him. The crowd cheered as Noah caught the ball, scoring the winning touchdown.

I searched one more time for him but couldn't find him anywhere. Before I could express my sadness, Noah threw arms around me in an embrace.

*

I slumped on my bed nervously. It's not like he said he was coming. I just expected him to come. Come to think of it, I never really see him in any of our games. I mean, before, I didn't have a reason to look for him. So maybe he just didn't come that night. What if he was still avoiding me?

Maybe I could ask him. But then I remember.

I don't have his number.