deanna's interviews

Sakiko:

"Well, how about we start this with you telling me your name?"

"Sa.." Sakiko clears her throat, "Sara.. Sara Dixon."

"Nice to meet you, Sara. I'm Deanna."

Sakiko nods, eyes darting to the camera for a second then back to Deanna's eyes.

"You seem young. What did you do before this?"

"Before this place?"

"Before the world was.. not the world?"

Sakiko could answer that with few words.

A middle school dropout. A thief. A drug dealer's kid. A brat.

"Not much," she settles, "School. Me, my brother, and my dad would.. go to diners. Just.. anything outdoors, really. We weren't exactly.. homebodies."

"Your father is.." Deanna scans her paper, "Daryl Dixon."

"He is," Sakiko nods.

"Could you elaborate further on that?"

"You asking me why I look more like Glenn and Ryan than my own dad?" Sakiko snaps back.

"Well, the family resemblance is.. minuscule to say the least."

"Stepdad. Never met my real one. Mom's been gone since before the world wasn't the world."

"I see," Deanna nods at the short answers, "And your brother has yet to be interviewed."

"He can be a bit slow," Sakiko shrugs.

"But, something I found fascinating.." Deanna holds a finger up, "You are married. And since you are so young, you got married during all this."

"You gonna ask me about the dudes in my life or about myself?" Sakiko glares, "Is someone sad they're going through a dry spell and can't get dicked down?"

Deanna's face doesn't falter, almost scaring Sakiko. How dare someone not react to her antics?

"I am married as well," Deanna says instead.

"With how deep your crow's feet go, I'm guessing he's already got one foot in the grave."

"Are you here to survive or insult me and my life?"

"You started it by asking questions and pointing out that my dad and I aren't.." Sakiko tilts her head back and forth, "The same?"

"I wasn't implying that," Deanna denies.

"No, that's because you outright said it. Should I go around speaking Japanese and swinging this katana around like I'm some kind of Bruce Lee wannabe? News flash wicked witch, I was born here and raised by that white man. Take it or leave it."

There's a few seconds of silence until Deanna leans forward.

"You and Mr. Dixon may not favor in looks.. But, you sure have his mouth."

"I got his temper, too. Wanna keep testing it?" Sakiko challenges.

"How about you tell me what is really on your mind?"

Sakiko cracks her knuckles, internally laughing at the old woman that had no idea what was coming for her.

"You're old enough to be my great-grandmother. You talk with a northern accent that says you aren't even from here in Virginia. Your clothes are spotless- you care about your appearance. You're wearing fucking makeup and jewelry, after all. You're white.. But, you're a woman and that tells me that you're here because you were somebody else in the world before. No one takes women seriously- before or after unless they already were somebody."