chapter thirty-nine

Start from the beginning

Jace has a malicious smile on his face while looking at me and that's all he gives me before taking a blindfold out of his pocket. Wait, what?

"You have got to be kidding me." I'm astonished, looking at the piece of cloth in his hands and I feel my heart thundering in my chest, it won't ever stop.

"It's simple, you are not a part of the gang. I trust no one." Distant, cold, and meticulous. He has a facade put up so well that there isn't any flaw, any breach so you can access and blackmail him.

It's the reason he's the leader.

I gasp, causing him to wink at me, a wave of memories of Damien doing the same thing flushing through my mind and I nod while closing my eyes, anything to make the suffering stop.

I need to ease this throbbing pain.

His calculated footsteps get louder, closer to me, and I hold my breath when he places the cloth around my eyes, his calloused hands brushing my skin, definitely on purpose.

"Too tight?" His choice of words intrigues me, always a game as he changes his voice tone, and with the fear of getting caught in it, I simply shake my head. "Let's go then, we have a lot to do."

Jace take my hand in his, our cold skins combining and I take deep breaths not to panic. I can only follow.

All of this will be worth it.

It's what I keep telling myself.

I'm impatient.

Ever since Jake guided me to this room, taking my blindfold off and telling me he would be back soon, I'm alone.

My cellphone has been ringing nonstop, the reason why I had to mute it and despite the urge to be strong, each time it vibrates I look to see if it's from Damien. It's not. All the calls are from Kayla, Chadwick, and Bella. I have no idea what my childhood best friend can possibly want.

Gosh.

I walk from one place to another, already abandoning the high heels and letting my feet touch the cold concrete.

All there are in here is an old leather sofa, a small window near the ceiling, cameras on each corner, and a huge metal door from where we came. It resembles a waiting room, or worse, a cell, and the walking is the only thing keeping me from hallucinating.

He wouldn't kidnap me, would he?

The answer that pops into my mind terrifies me.