Chapter 72: The Dancing Men

Start from the beginning

“We’ll take the case.” John said quickly.

Sherlock nodded leisurely. “Yes, we will.”

“You will, of course, have to send us any new instances of the markings. We’ll need more material to decode the cipher.” Y/N said.

Dhan nodded. “Yes, I’ll send them along as I get them. Great, thank you–”

“One more question, Inspector.” Sherlock said, standing up. “What’s the real reason you’re here?”

“I beg your pardon?”

“You may be well below my calibre, but I don’t quite believe you when you say you can’t make anything of this case. So, why are you here, really?” Sherlock asked, staring the other woman down.

“Nothing gets past you, does it?” Dhan sighed. “I came to London for a job interview. Well, several. I’m looking to be promoted, to come here to London where there’s a bit more action.”

“And?”

“And I wanted to see the three of you again. You interest me, the cases you take, the way you work. This case came at the perfect time.” Dhan said.

“Well, Inspector, I assume you’d like to go and prepare before your interviews.”

“We look forward to working with you.” John added.

“As do I.” Dhan shook John’s hand, giving him yet another charming smile. “I’ll be in touch.”

John walked the beautiful DCI to the door. Sherlock stood, shoulders straight and blocking Y/N with his body.

“Easy there, tiger. I don’t think it’s me she’s after.” Y/N smiled.

“Not anymore.” Sherlock said.

Y/N stood up, but faltered, overcome with a sudden wave of dizziness. She swayed, gripping the back of Sherlock’s chair for balance. He was at her side in an instant, steady hands on her arms and back.

“I’m fine,” She took a deep breath. “Just got a little lightheaded. I don’t think I’ve had enough water today.”

“Sit.” Sherlock instructed, guiding her into the soft leather seat.

Blue whined, looking up at her from the floor. Y/N patted his head gently, assuring him she was perfectly alright. Sherlock brought her a glass of water, kneeling on the floor beside her while she drank. After a while, the room stopped spinning and she could stand. Still, Sherlock insisted on helping her walk to their bedroom where she would take a nap.

“I’m not even jet lagged, it’s fine–”

Sherlock kissed the spot just below her ear. “I would have thought last week wore you out enough to sleep for a century…”

Y/N smiled, sliding her hands up his chest. “No such luck, I’m afraid.”

“I’ll just have to try harder, then, won’t I, wife?”

“Give me your best shot, husband.” She challenged.

~

John was jumpy the next day. Every time his phone chimed, he checked it immediately. Only once was it Dhan, and only to say that her interviews were over and she was headed back to Surrey. He calmed down a bit after that, spending a lot of time typing, both on his phone and his laptop.

Y/N had been back at work for a day when the next instance of the dancing men occurred. She came home that evening to see Sherlock and John leaning over the kitchen table. Two strings of code were copied and laid side by side.