"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Doc bellowed, glaring at the intruders.

"Beauregard, my man, think you could help us out? We're a bit in a fix."

"Pryce Ryan, don't you dare call me that. And you've gotta be kidding me if you think I'm just going to let you steal drugs again."

"C'mon, it's not like anyone else is using them. Nothing happens around here anyway."

Even without seeing him, she could tell Doc was seething with anger. Crawling out from where she was hiding, she peered around the corner, watching the scene unfold but not daring to get any closer. The one named Pryce leaned back against the counters haughtily, a smirk plastered on his face. Inara stood to his left with her arms folded across her chest.

"Get the hell out of here you good for nothing scum, or so help me, I'll make sure you die if you ever need me for anything."

The smaller boy—Tycho she assumed—stepped closer, standing a good couple inches taller than the doctor. Unexpectedly, he snatched up him by the lab coat, pulling him in until their faces were mere inches apart. "What, is that a threat, old man?"

"It is indeed a threat, Tycho. And what are you going to do about it, huh?" Doc retorted, not even a tinge of fear evident in his voice.

Tycho hissed, raising his hand to hit Doc, but Pryce swiftly caught his fist. "Easy, easy. My apologies, Doctor. We'll be going now." The way his voice was so sickly sweet now as opposed to the rough tone she had heard earlier made her skin crawl.

"What—" Inara attempted to protest, but a look from Pryce quickly silenced her.

Tycho shoved Doc roughly before exiting, followed by the other two. Doc's eyes didn't come off of them until they had all left the room after which he promptly slammed the door shut, locking it with a click. Sighing and running a hand through his hair, he set to work examining the cabinets for any damage and cleaning up his counters, meticulously placing everything in their correct spots. It was not for many long minutes that he snapped his fingers, realizing he was missing something glaringly obvious.

"Girl, where are you? Come out now," he bellowed.

She timidly arose from where she was hiding, wrapping her arms securely around herself. "A-are you alright?"

Doc scoffed. "These kids don't intimidate me and wouldn't dare hurt me that seriously. That's the one plus to being the most knowledgeable in my field."

"Oh. Well...that's good, I suppose."

Doc hummed, placing both hands on the counter. "Did they see you?"

She shook her head. "No, I hid as soon as I heard them coming in."

"Wow, it appears you do have some sense."

"Pardon?"

"Nothing. Come here and let me look at your injury."

She complied, making her way over to him and taking a seat on the edge of the bed. He settled down next to her after putting on some gloves, gingerly unwrapping the bandage from her head in a quick but professional manner. The cool air coming in contact with the tender area caused her skin to tingle slightly, and her fingers squeezed the edge of her shirt once again.

"How does it feel?"

She thought for a moment. "A little sore, but it's not too bad."

"Good. It doesn't look too bad either. When is Kairo coming to get you?"

"He didn't say."

Doc sighed, standing up and padding over to the sink. "Fine. Guess you're staying here a bit longer then."