ᵉⁱᵍʰᵗ. ᶠᵃᵐⁱˡʸ ˡⁱⁿᵉ

chapter eight,( family line

chapter eight,
( family line. )

Eliza sat in a car, squished in-between Minho and Thomas, with the others in the back, Newt in the front seat and Jorge driving. The group drove up a mountain range as Eliza played with a loose thread that was coming off her jeans. Her anxiety was through the roof. She was afraid that if they found the right arm, that they wouldn't let her in because of who she's related to. Thomas sent her a look, silently asking her if she was okay, and she nodded.

Suddenly, the car came to a slow halt, making everybody get out. Eliza stared at her surroundings. A sandy and rocky landscape surrounded her, and farther up the road was just more and more cars, most of their doors open, but nobody seemed to be around.

The group slowly walked, their footsteps echoing throughout the horizon as they did so. Eliza was at the back of the group, not being able to walk as fast as everybody else. She peeked her head inside one of the abandoned cars, noticing there was a small, faded pink backpack in the back seat, a dusty teddy bear sitting next to it. Liza swallowed the lump in her throat.

Eliza found herself standing next to Thomas, looking into a car as he examined the outside. Suddenly, a gun shot rang through the air, and Eliza jumped, before crouching down next to Thomas and Jorge as the rest of the group hid behind other cars.

"Take cover!" Newt shouted as more bullets hit the cars, shattering glass in the process.

"You okay?" Thomas muttered to Eliza, who was bending down as far as she could with her leg brace. She nodded. "Is everyone okay?"

"We're fine!" Teresa shouted, voice echoing.

"Anyone know where those bloody shots came from?" Newt asked, and Eliza squeezed her eyes shut, praying it wasn't WCKD.

"That son of a bitch Marcus." Jorge spoke up, reaching for something. "He led us into an ambush." Eliza shook her head, watching with her lips pursed as Thomas slowly raised his head above the car they were hiding behind, before dropping back down as three more shots were fired.

"What do we do?" Thomas asked, panicking.

"Here, hold this." Jorge said, handing Thomas what looked like a bomb. Eliza exchanged a look with said boy, her heart pounding. "We gotta create a diversion," Jorge continued. "You get ready to chuck it." The man pulled out some sort of lighter device.

"Everybody!" Jorge shouted. "Get set to sprint back to the truck." Eliza wasn't sure if she could do that, but she wasn't prepared to get blown up. "And hold your ears. Ready? One, two-"

"Drop it." A female voice said, followed by the sound of a gun cocking. Eliza slowly turned her eyes to look at the woman, wincing internally. Thomas did as he was told. "Now. I said drop it." Jorge did as he was told. There were two girls, both the same age as Thomas and the others. One had darker skin, with dark hair in braids, and was wearing a mask over her mouth. The other was blonde, hair in a single braid, also wearing a mask over her mouth. And they both had guns.