ᶠⁱᵛᵉ. ᴵ ᵗʰⁱⁿᵏ ᴵ ʰᵃᵛᵉ ˢᵘᵖᵉʳᵖᵒʷᵉʳˢ

chapter five,( i think i have superpowers

chapter five,
( i think i have superpowers. )

Later that night, Eliza found herself leaning up against Thomas, a fire now lighting up in front of her, the flames dancing in her eyes, but that wasn't what she was focusing on. The group were in the middle of the desert, taking refuge amongst what seemed like a ruined boat, so Eliza assumed that where they were sitting was once some sort of water source.

"I thought we were supposed to be immune." Minho spoke up, breaking the deafening silence that Eliza thought was going to be the death of her.

"They probably lied to us." The youngest of the group said, her head resting against Thomas's leg like it was a pillow - but he didn't mind. "That's what they do best."

"If Winston can get infect, we should assume so can the rest of us." Newt stated.

"I never thought I'd say it." Frypan said, speaking for the first time in hours. "But I miss the glade." His words made Eliza's heart pang. Because part of her hated that place with every ounce of human decency inside of her. But the other part missed it as well, because it was the only home she had ever known.

The next night, Eliza was laying on the hard ground, with the group doing the exact same. She couldn't tell if the others were asleep, trying to get to sleep, or awake with their own thoughts like she was. She was laying on her back, which she felt insane doing, because who in their right mind sleeps flat on their back? Not me, that's for sure.

"Hey, hey." The voice of Thomas suddenly said, making her sit upright quicker than expected, making her head spin, most likely from dehydration. She looked at him in confusion as he started waking the others up. "Get up, come on, guys."

"Thomas, what is it?" Eliza demanded, voice croaky.

"I see something." He replied as the group started to stand up.

"Whoa, what is it?" Minho voiced everyones thoughts.

"You see that?" Thomas asked, pointing to spots of lights in the distance. "It's lights."

"We made it." Minho said with a hint of hope in his voice. Suddenly, a crack of thunder caught the whole groups attention, making everyones head whip to the source, which was behind them. Then, a bolt of lightning hit the sandy floor.

"We gotta go." Eliza stated the obvious, tapping Thomas on the arm urgently.

"Yeah, yeah, let's go, come on." Thomas agreed, and soon enough, the whole group was running. Eliza's feet pounded against the desert floor as she ran as fast as she could, getting closer and closer to the building of lights the more steps she took.

"Hurry!" Teresa urged the group on, but Eliza knew it was sort of aimed at her since she was now the slowest and was at the back. Suddenly everything went into slow motion. Eliza was once aware of everything, then she wasn't. She was once running, then she wasn't. Then she was on the floor, on her side, eyes closed as she felt like she was ascending to heaven.

The young girl was confused. What the fuck just happened? She wanted to scream, let the others know she was hurt somehow in someway, but she realised she didn't have to do that when she heard the familiar voices of Thomas and Minho shouting her name, then she felt hands on her, and she wanted to tell them she was fine, but she wasn't, cause she couldn't move or talk.

She felt hands pick her up, and she knew it was Thomas from the way he was gentle with her, as if she was about to break, but he still ran to the safety of the building, and Eliza knew they were inside because suddenly the loud bangs of the thunder and lightning were practically gone, and she could now only hear the panicked voices of her friends.

"Put her down." She heard Thomas say.

"Watch her head." Aris said. She felt the floor against her back, and then she could see a bright light through her shut eyelids.

"Eliza!" The voice of Thomas shouted as he gripped her shirt, trying to shake her awake. She wanted to say she was awake, but she couldn't.

"Liza, come on." Minho said gently.

"Come on, Liz." Teresa said, her voice cracking in the process.

"Liza, please." Newt begged, and Eliza felt a soft hand on her face, shaking it to try and wake her up. Suddenly, Eliza let out a groan, before slowly opening her eyes, suddenly aware that she could barely breath.

"There she is." Frypan said, making Eliza chuckle.

"What happened?" She asked, her voice light, making the others laugh.

"You got struck by lightning." Thomas answered her question with a smirk on his face as he helped her slowly stand up.

"I'm so cool. I think I have superpowers." The young girl said, with a small smile. "Bet you all wanna be like me now, huh?" Her words made the group laugh.

The smile was wiped off her face when a sudden shiver was sent up her spine, making the girl shake.

"What's wrong?" Thomas asked her. The girl swallowed the lump in her throat.

"I feel like someone's watching me." Eliza said, looking around the dark room, before snatching the flashlight out of Aris hands and whipping it around.

Suddenly, it landed on something. Well, more like someone. A crank. And the sudden light seemed to anger it, making it jump towards Eliza, arms stretched out as it tried to grab her, making inhuman noises in the process. But it couldn't get to her. It was chained up. But the sight still made Eliza scream, and Thomas pulled the girl back, so she was behind him.

More and more cranks kept popping up, making the Gladers yell out in shock, but they were all chained up and restrained, but the group was still shocked at the sight.

Suddenly, a light flooded the room, and everyone turned to the source. A door had opened, and in walked a person, walking in between all the cranks, just out of reach so they couldn't grab them. Eliza couldn't tell if it was a man or a woman at first, but as the person got closer, she could tell it was a woman.

"Stay back, stay back!" Minho shouted over all the noise as the girl stopped right in front of the group. Eliza poked her head around Thomas's side, making eye contact with the older girl, and the sight of Eliza seemed to make her smile. The older girl had a buzz cut style hair, and she was wearing black skinny jeans, boots, and a red ripped sweater.

"You guys look like shit." The girl said, her voice surprisingly gentle. I like her. "Come on, follow me." When nobody followed, she halted in her tracks. "Unless you wanna stay here with them."

Eliza shrugged her shoulders and began to follow the random older girl, but Thomas grabbed the girl's wrist, sending her a look.

"What else are we supposed to do?" She questioned, making the girl that was now behind her chuckle.