ᵗʰʳᵉᵉ. ᶜʳᵃⁿᵏˢ

chapter three,( cranks

chapter three,
( cranks. )

Eliza could feel the sand making its way into her leg brace, and she knew she shouldn't cry - so why did she feel like she was about to? She raised a hand above her eyes, trying to stop the sand that was practically blinding her, but it was no use.

She couldn't see much through the sand, and she could barely hear over the loud wind, but she knew that WCKD was following her and the others, but she could only hope they were losing them soon enough.

"Teresa hang on, stay together!" Thomas shouted out to the dark haired girl, who was slightly ahead of the rest of the group. Eliza squinted her eyes to see better, and she could see Teresa running towards a small building, but Eliza couldn't tell whether it was actually small or if it was buried in sand.

"I think we lost them!" Minho shouted, and Eliza agreed. She couldn't hear the sound of WCKD's vehicles anymore.

"Keep going guys." Thomas urged them all on. "Let's go."

"Where are we even going?" Eliza voiced her thoughts, before running straight into someone. She looked up and came face to face with Minho.

"Gotta watch where you're going, Liza." Minho said, with a hint of sass.

"Kinda hard to do that when you can't see at all." Eliza replied.

Eliza found herself standing in front of a large broken window after Minho had helped her stand up properly.

"What the hell is this?" Minho asked, voicing everyone's thoughts.

"Come on!" Teresa said, jumping through the window, even though she had absolutely zero clue what was inside.

"Teresa, wait!" Thomas shouted, but it was too late.

"Fuck it." Eliza said, before following Teresa's lead. She ended up sliding down a sand hill, before Teresa grabbed her hands, helping her stand. Eliza smiled at the girl, and she returned the gesture. Wherever the Gladers currently were, it was in ruins. Eliza looked around her, seeing things torn to pieces and destroyed, and covered in dust as if it had been sitting there for centuries.

"Where the hell are we?" Minho asked, shining a flashlight around, from the backpack he had stolen from the facility.

"We gotta go." Thomas said. Eliza was in extreme confusion. But she knew what was going on. She had officially found her family. Even if she didn't want to. And her family worked for WCKD. Scratch that; it seemed to her like they ran it.