ᵒⁿᵉ. ᶠᵃᵐⁱˡⁱᵃʳ ᶠᵃᶜᵉˢ

chapter one, ( familiar faces

chapter one,
( familiar faces. )

Eliza had been awake the entire trip, not shutting her eyes for a single second, making the bags underneath her eyes much more prominent. Everyone else around her was either asleep, or was just now waking up as Eliza stared out the window, watching the dark sky as they passed by fast and smooth.

She had stopped crying around two hours into the trip, and Eliza had been sure she was gonna throw up from how hard she had cried at first, but it slowly turned into silent tears, then into nothing. She felt like she still needed to cry, but she couldn't find it in herself to do so.

When they first escaped the maze, Eliza's mind had been racing, to the point where she couldn't sit still or focus on one thing at once, but now, three hours later, her mind was only focusing on one thing; the sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach.

It still hadn't gone away. Eliza had ignored it the entire trip, because she thought it had something to do with knowing that she'd never see Chuck again, but now she wasn't so sure. As the others around her were beginning to wake up, Eliza didn't say a single word as the helicopter slowly descended to the ground, but Thomas, who was laying beside her, was still fast asleep.

Eliza and the rest of the Gladers, except for Thomas, began to sit up, preparing to get out of the helicopter as it finally hit the floor. But, the door opened rather quickly, and the people in black rushed the Gladers out, and Eliza could hear screams, gunshots, and inhuman noises sounding throughout the air.

Thomas still hadn't woken up, really making Eliza wonder just how heavy of a sleeper he was. A person dressed in black grabbed her upper right arm, and right before they could drag her out of the aircraft, she lunged towards Thomas, grabbing him by the collar and shaking him awake.

"Thomas, we gotta go!" Eliza shouted over all the noise, finally being able to wake him up. The boys eyes snapped open quickly, and he finally got up. Eliza left him with the guards, following the rest of the Gladers into the building. Eliza was shoved inside, alongside Thomas, last, and the large mechanical doors snapped shut behind them, and they creepily reminded Eliza of the maze doors.

She ignored it, turning around and scanning the facility they had entered. Definitely far from the glade now.

The Gladers had all been shoved into a room, with a table of food in the centre. Eliza had eaten an actual meal for the first time in what seemed like forever, and now she felt like she was gonna be sick. She was sitting on the floor, leaning against the wall behind her, Minho sitting next to her.

Suddenly, the door opened, making everyone jump up and walk over to the entrance, where a man was standing. He had greying hair, and looked to be in his fourties. Standing next to him was a teenage boy, around the age of the rest of the boys, with dark blonde hair that was parted in the middle.