ᵗᵉⁿ. ᴵ ᶜᵃⁿ'ᵗ ʰᵃⁿᵈˡᵉ ᶜʰᵃⁿᵍᵉ

chapter ten,( i can't handle change

chapter ten,
( i can't handle change. )

Eliza was running as fast as she could, meaning she was at the back of the group of Gladers, running alongside Thomas. Minho was leading the group up ahead, and Eliza was finally realizing that this was it. This was the moment she had been waiting for, for over a year. They were finally about to escape the maze.

After nearly an hour of running, Minho came to a stop, making the rest of the Gladers stop behind him. Thomas raced to the front, and Eliza found herself moving forward until she was standing next to Chuck and Teresa. Thomas poked his head around the corner, before turning back around, a look of fear on his face.

"Griever?" Eliza and Chuck asked in unision, and Thomas nodded.

"Fuck." Eliza said, running a hand through her hair. I mean, this was bound to happen eventually.

"Okay, Liza, Chuck, you take this. Stay behind us." Minho said, handing them the key. Eliza nodded and Chuck took it into his hands as the girl tied her hair up into a pony tail.

"Its okay." Teresa said. "Stick with me." Eliza nodded at the girl.

"Once we're through," Thomas started. "It'll activate the doors. We stay close. We stick together, we get through this. We get out now, or we die trying. Ready?" The gladers all nodded. "Let's go!" Thomas shouted as they all rounded the corner, racing towards the griever. As the gladers were fighting the griever, its claw landed on the cemement right in front of Eliza, sending her flying backwards.

She backed up, trying to get away from the creatures claw, but apart of her leg brace got caught on a crack in the cement. Eliza groaned, leaning towards her lower left leg and unhooking the leg brace from the cement as teresa hit the grievers claw, breaking it and causing it to hit the key out of Chucks hand, sending it flying.

"No!" Chuck shouted as he raced after the key, which was rolling closer and closer ot the edge. Eliza pushed herself up, ignoring the throbbing pain in her abdomen, racing towards Chuck alongside Teresa, and they both latched onto him, pulling him away from the edge he was dangling over.

"Thomas!" Eliza screamed, and the three of them turned, running away from the edge as two more grievers appeared from both sides. They ran past Thomas and the others, racing towards the door behind them.

"It works." Chuck said as the doors slid upwards in front of them.

"Go!" Thomas shouted and the three of them raced forward towards the other door. The rest of the gladers started backing up, getting closer and closer to the door. The circular door in front of them wasn't opening and Eliza, Teresa and Chuck began trying to find a way to open it. Just as Eliza was about to shout something about the door not opening, a screen lit up on it. It was red and it looked like you had to put a code in.

"Thomas!" Eliza said. "There's a code! Eight numbers!"

"Minho!" Thomas shouted. "Whats the sequence?"