8. Declán

"Aderyn, come on! Before ma and da wake up!" Declán whispers, shaking his sister awake. She, however, groans and snuggles deeper into her blankets. He laughs and sits down next to her on the bed. "I guess I'll have to bake ma's birthday bread by myself." Aderyn gasps, still under the blankets, but doesn't move. "All right then." Declán says and gets up, walking away. Aderyn quickly gets out of the bed and races past her brother into the kitchen.

"Hey!" he laughs and runs after her, picking her up mid-way and holding her up into the air to make her feel like she's flying. "Weeee!" the little girl shouts and laughs. Declán smiles at his younger sister. He puts her down gently as she clutches her little raven plush. It's pitch black, with even darker eyes. But frankly, it is what makes her shine. Ravens have always been her favorite animal, so mysterious, and every sound they make, a scream into the night.

Simply said, an unusual animal for a little girl to like.

Declán grabs the flour and a big pot, giving it to Aderyn. she pours the other ingredients into the pot and starts mixing it. But with her toy in one of her hands, it is very difficult. "Come on, put Váli down, so that you can mix it well." Aderyn shakes her head. She continues to mix the dough, ultimately letting lots of it fall to the ground. "Aderyn, put your raven down," Declán reaches out and tries to grab Aderyn's raven.

"NO!" she screams and Declán is thrown back, hitting his back against the wall. At the same time, three windows burst, thousands of shrapnels of glass flying through the air. The little girl cowers to the ground covering her ears with her hands. The children's parents rush into the room and see Declán lying on the ground, Aderyn with her eyes closed. There is glass everywhere, but around her. The shrapnels formed a perfect circle around Aderyn.

The two adults look at each other in fear. But both of them know exactly what they must do. The town they live in, Ban Ard, it would never accept such a witch. One that hurts her family. So, the father grabs the girl and brings her outside and onto a carriage, quickly riding away into the mountains. Aderyn is unconscious, having used up her energy. She never saw Declán again.

It was then that she was left on the path, abandoned by her own father. He fled, not wanting to confront the witchers. For days the child lay in the snow, sleeping. And one day, there came a witcher. One particular witcher, that mistook the child for a boy, because it had short hair.

Vesemir.

≪◦ ❈ ◦≫

just a short chapter in between :)