2. Kaedwen

≪◦ ❈ ◦≫

*2 Weeks earlier*

Thunder rolls over the sky, the clouds closing off the blue color, turning it grey. The King sits on his throne, a messenger kneeling in front of him. The hall is empty except for them, with stone walls surrounding the two. King Henselt frowns at the piece of paper he sees in his hand.

"Where exactly did you find this?" his thick accent coats the bluntly spoken words as he looks down at the cowered messenger, fearing all sounds and movement.

"I- In- there- and- a witch- and- and dark magic- and dead bodies everywhere so- I- tried to run- but- she stopped me and- gave me that- and then-" the boy stutters. "And then what?" the King asks, now more patiently. "and then- she- she- disappeared." he sighs, relieved that the weight is now off his shoulders.

The King stands up from his throne, his long scarlet cloak sliding after him down the steps as he stops in front of the messenger and bids him to stand. "What you have done," he puts a hand on his shoulder, "is very brave of you, Killan. You may go rest now." Killan nods and thanks the King, bowing to him before rushing out of the throne room.

Henselt sighs then looks back down at the beige page:

I hear thy breaths of fear,

and yet I am not near.

Fire shall burn along your coast,

turning thy people into ghosts.

If you wish to fight me,

I won't make it easy.

Bring your greatest warriors and I'll bring mine,

kill them all if you wish to see the sunshine.

He speaks the poem loudly to try and understand what the witch meant by it when the paper ignites into flames and turns into ash in the King's hands. Before he can kneel to examine it, the throne room's doors are opened and a servant enters the room.

"You Majesty, the dining hall is prepared for your presence." he says. "Yes, right. Thank you." the King turns away from the ashes and makes his way into the dining hall, where his guests are awaiting him. "Good evening my dear people." he begins, "Let tonight be the night of happiness!" he shouts loudly, earning cheers from the crowd.

Then he sits down and eats his food without showing interest. His guests speak to each other, enjoying the night. Candles drip wax onto the table cloth, staining it with fat. The King's concern grows by the second. He needs help. Immediately.

After an hour, he can't take it anymore and stands up from the table, everyone else rushingly standing up in respect. "Thank you, but you may stay, I must leave this table, for I have important tasks to tend to. Please, stay. I thank you for this evening. It has been lovely." then he turns away and walks out of the hall and up the hallway to his letter room.

≪◦ ❈ ◦≫

this is a short chapter, but necessary.

the next update will be here soon.

Brooke.