4. The Curse

≪◦ ❈ ◦≫

Long before the conjunction of the spheres, there were different worlds, each with their own inhabitants. Whether they were humans, or monsters, they lived in somewhat similar to peace. However, with the conjunction of the spheres, these different species were forced to live together, in an ambience unlike the one they had before.

The hunters became the hunted. Predator became prey. Humans became slaves of monsters and witches. This lead to the beginning of the witchers. Killing these monsters, they established a somewhat stable world with less death. They locked the devils away with spells, keeping them from re-entering our world.

Most of these devils died in time. But some are still alive. And this specific one, Daeva, has escaped from its prison. It now roams the continent, letting monsters loose again, creating them with the power of blood. The most dangerous power of all.

Its curse is upon the world. From fallen monoliths, to trees that turn into leshies, it's done it all. And now its threatened the King of Kaedwen. For one purpose: Power. Taken from the death of others.

≪◦ ❈ ◦≫

When the sunlight cracks through the window, the warriors are already gathered in the main hall of the palace. Soldiers upon soldiers, some hungover from the night before, others looking famished, sit on long tables that stretch throughout the hall. While they wait for the King, the men eat and drink whatever is offered on the tables. The Raven however, is not yet there. And Geralt sees this, wondering where she might be. Moments later, a door to the main hall is opened quietly and a hooded figure slips through, immediately stepping to the corner and into the shadow.

Before Geralt can step towards the figure, the King's voice is heard in the hall: "Warriors of the Continent! Soldiers of Winter! At last I have my army. And I thank you for your support in these very dangerous times. Today we set off on our journey. And soon enough the truth will be revealed to you. This is no ordinary battle. This is no regular war. And it shall be one of the hardest wars this continent has ever had to fight. But we will fight! And we will try to win, as much as possible. A curse has befallen our Continent."

The hall turns uneasy to his last sentence but exactly two figures remain calm and try to figure out what curse the King speaks of. "To fight this battle I must separate you into different groups. Please, let my guards put you in groups of the same size and remember that these groups shall be the people you will see for the next years, or until your death if you are unlucky." the King says. Geralt scoffs and lets out a Deep chuckle at the King's words, which the Raven hears. She smiles to herself and waits for the guards to arrive. They build groups of about 50 men each, not leaving them a choice of who wants to go where.

"Oy! You two in the back! Over here!" A guard shouts and Geralt and the Raven instantly make their way towards the same guard, now standing next to each other, yet not looking at each other. "Why are you wearing that Hood? Take it off! Are you some kind of assassin or something?" the guard sticks out his hand to take off her hood but she is quicker. She grabs a dagger from her tigh and holds it up against his neck. Without saying a word, the guard backs off and continues talking to other men. Geralt watches as the woman stands at the back of the group, waiting for further instructions.

Only minutes later, all warriors are marked, so that they be recognized of which group they take part of. "You shall be named," a guard looks down on his list, "the group of Kaer Morhen. Witcher or not." The man looks at Geralt and then passes out pins for them to put on their clothing. On the pin there is a drawn silhouette of Kaer Morhen, barely recognizeable. Geralt hears the Raven chuckle quietly from the other side of the crowd.

Soon enough, each group is called out into the stalls to gather their equipment and each set off on their own adventure. Their own mission. When the crowd of Kaer Morhen is called out, both Geralt and the Raven mount their horses, Geralt on Roach and the Raven on Váli. The two have the tallest horses, Brown and black colored. However, between the two horses, if there were a race, even if Geralt would enchant Roach to run faster, he wouldn't win. Váli is of a royal horse breed. Therefore, the fastest there is. Some other men mount their horses, yet most are on foot for this mission. As she looks down at the men, she recognizes the Ard Boys standing in front of the group. Pigs. If only they knew what they're up against.

As the group starts to move, Geralt and the Raven keep some distance between each other. Mostly because both still do not trust anyone. The group passes over huge fields, many rivers passing them as they get closer to the Kestrel Mountains. They are still far away when they stop for a rest. It is the first night of the march, and no monsters were yet seen. Neither were witches. The soldiers are still complete. The truths have yet to be unfolded.

≪◦ ❈ ◦≫

heyy guysss, hope this one was okay

I know it's a bit short but I have to stop here to have the correct change to what I want to happen next. :)

see you soon,

Brooke.