Chapter XIV (Reconciliation)

Corrin shoves open her bedroom door with a single strong hand and thunders past you.

You remain at the door (as politeness dictates) and await an invitation.

You're rewarded a powerful draconian growl for your manners. "Don't just stand there! Come in," your mistress demands.

You do as you're told, entering the bedroom. The sight of a high ceiling lined with lanterns confronts you. A large double bed with velvet sheets sits beside the door with a set of Hoshidan oak draws sitting off to the side. The scent of perfume greets you, so strong it catches the back your throat.

The room's tension is thick, so thick that you could cut it with a blade. Any relief you feel from your surroundings quickly dissolves.

You have to say something, anything to stop Corrin staring at you as if you've stabbed her through the heart. "Milady-"

Corrin raises her hand. "Not a word," she cuts you off and closes the door behind you. "You have no idea what you've done, do you?"

"I acted in your best interests," you offer.

"The only interests you've acted in are your own."

"That's not true. Nor is it fair."

"Fairness doesn't matter! You can't begin to imagine how sadistic Camilla can be, or what she'll do to you if you fail."

"I won't fail," you assure the princess. "Not while there is still so much for us to do."

"And I'd rather not take such a risk," Corrin says quietly, tears welling in her eyes. "Camilla will kill you if she gets the chance... and I can't lose you! I just can't!" Her petite shoulders tense under the weight of her emotions, she reaches upward with quivering fingers to touch your face. "Not when I've already lost one side of my family..."

An aura of purest white light emanates from Corrin's body, and an immense flash bursting across the room. Its blinding intensity sends you reeling, your heartbeat pounding within your skull as you hit the wooden floor. For several moments, you clutch your head in a desperate attempt to stop your ears from ringing. Blinking for several moments, you clear your vision. Slowly and painstakingly, you sit upright.

Corrin stands before you as a dragon on four slim legs, her tail swishing from side to side. Suspended in mid-air beside her, is her dragonstone. The magical artefact pulsates with rainbow coloured light as though matching her heartbeat.

You rise to your feet - awestruck by the sight before you.

"It's because of Felicia you're doing this, isn't it?" asks Corrin, her voice small and pained. "Because you care for her, because you care for us both." She shows her fangs and growls again: this time forebodingly. "I'd like the truth, Keiji."

It seems your mistress knows the truth. You lower onto hand and knee in respectful address. There is no sense in lying.

"It's true, milady. I love you both, dearly," you admit, your throat pulling tight as your sentiments swirl. "Since Hana I've... struggled with my affections - with commitment. I'll not excuse it however. Caring for both you and Felicia is dreadfully selfish." You lift your head, tears misting your eyes.

Coming closer on her hooves, Corrin lowers her head nearer your face. "...Thank you, for being honest. It was all I really wanted."

You'll face your judgement here, as a man should. "If this means an end to our romance then I accept it whole-heartedly."

The dragoness rubs her head against the side of your cheek. "It doesn't. I treasure you, Keiji, just as much as Felicia does. And though doing so makes me selfish, I don't want to let you go. And yet," the princess sighs. "...I cannot deny Felicia of your love, either. Therefore... I don't know what to do."