01 . b a c k s l i d e

Sorry, sweetheart. Nothing personal. The job calls for it, you know.
—Kabir Ahuja
_________________________________

SHE TAPS HER NAILS impatiently against the casino counter as a slow song plays in the background. It had been ten minutes since the most wanted male of the CBI department was scheduled to arrive. She looked around, her eyes scanning every single being in the hall for any possible suspects.

People were either too busy with their drinks or were exotically making out in the corners of the casino hall.

"Seth, why isn't he still here?" She whispers impatiently into her earpiece.

"Uh, I'm sure he's gonna be there. Anytime soon. Just watch out, alright?" She hears him from the other side.

Clicking her tongue in impatience, she sighs. "That's exactly what I'm doing. I don't sense anything wrong here. Everything seems to be pretty normal."

"That's what he wants us to believe, Alisha. That's exactly what he wants you to believe. Just be aware of any distractions. He's too good at screwing people over." Seth replies, making her mentally roll her eyes.

"I'll watch out, don't worry," she scans her surroundings. "But just for the record, we're gonna catch him this time."

"Would you like a drink?" She hears the bartender ask from across the counter.

"Vodka, please." She replies, with a small smirk.

"Alisha! An agent is never allowed to get drunk while on duty." She hears Seth yell in her ear piece. Ignoring her colleague, she proceeds to drink as the bartender places the glass in front of her.

When the bartender leaves from her side, she whispers into her earpiece. "Sometimes, you just gotta settle in with the surroundings. Otherwise, it gets suspicious."

Seth knew more than to argue with his senior. After all, he was just a geek incharge of all the coding and computer-related work while she was a senior agent who was far more higher in the experience ladder than he ever was or will be.

"Alisha," He whisper-shouts after a few seconds of silence. "He's there."

Alisha immediately stiffens up, looking around in alarm. "Where exactly?" She questions as adrenaline begins to pump up her veins.

"He's at the table behind you." Seth was was sitting in his car outside the casino, viewing all the contents of the cameras from his laptop screen. "Be careful," he warns.

She clears her throat and turns just a little to have a glimpse.

There was her target.

Dressed in a formal black tuxedo and holding a glass of champagne in his right hand, he was typing away on his phone and his eyes seemed to be focused on it. The top button of his shirt was undone, revealing a little of his muscular form as the cotton fabric appeared tight around his tensing shoulders.

Kabir Ahuja was making an impression without even trying.

"Alisha Hegde, stop ogling at the target and knock him out." Seth shouts in her ears. She keeps her gaze steady on Kabir Ahuja. As if sensing her eyes on him, he immediately looks up from his phone screen. Their eyes lock and she frowns as Kabir lips slightly twitch upwards.

When he starts taking steps towards her, the pace of her breathing quickens up but she tries to keep herself steady and composed.

"Evening." He greets, bringing his hand forward.

"Evening." Alisha smiles back, shaking his hand. "You're an Indian." She comments which sounded more like a question. Obviously she knew where he was from but acting naive was the only option at present.