3. The bodyguard

One kiss is all it takes
Fallin' in love with me
_________
• DsPOV •

.
.
.

Clacking sound of high heels on the carpet-covered marble floor echoed in the hallway, followed by a more intense and fast stomping of high boots. Dea was tall and her legs were long, so Nicole always had to march when following her. That curious mix of sounds was, for anyone, the unmistakable sign of Queen D's arrival.

«What happened to the old security team we had guarding the house?».

Nicole was writing non-stop on her planner as she was, after many years of practice, able to multitask as something biologically natural to her. «Fired. I thought that if we had to hire new bodyguards, better take the whole package».

«Right». The giantess' hazel eyes wandered on the various renaissance-inspired oil paintings and their golden baroque frames on the walls. «Um... Do I get to choose my own bodyguard?».

«Of course not». She looked at her as if she had said something incredibly stupid. «I told them to assign you the most uninteresting, plain-looking, silent guard they had. Someone you will find so boring, you won't even think about dirty double meanings and flirty behaviours with him. The last thing we need is sexual harassment charges».

Dea bit out a laugh, her strong baritone voice echoing in the hall. «Gosh! It makes me sad to know you picture me as some kind of sexual predator. I just like teasing cute boys and girls. You know I don't overstep boundaries».

«All I know for sure is you're a femme fatale, and you're gonna put yourself in big trouble if you don't get your shit together soon».

«Don't worry. I promise I will behave». She smirked, «I'll be an angel...».

Her smooth voice didn't convince Nicole at all. It only alarmed her more. «Dea Madeleine Japrisot. If I find out you had unprofessional demeanours with any of the bodyguards, I swear I'm—».

«Shh. We're here».

They stopped in front of the staircase conducting to the entrance hall, a large marble space decorated with ionic columns, plants and golden details. On the right side of the room, there were two men, a younger and an older one. They raised their heads to see Dea and stood speechless with their mouths open.

The woman grinned and slowly walked down the staircase, hand on the bannister and eyes on the line of men in black standing like statues on her left. My my, what a marvellous sight.

Tall and sturdy men with different hairstyles, skin tones, ages and eye colours. Beards, moustaches, tattoos. Most of them broke their stillness to raise their heads and see her for the first time.

Of one thing she was disappointed. Not a single woman was present in that crowd of pure menacing masculinity.

Nicole and Dea joined the two men. The middle-aged one, with grey sideburns and a thick moustache, slightly bowed to both girls and smiled.

«So it's true what they say about you, Queen D. Truly a charming beauty. Of all the powerful men and women I had the privilege to have business with, you sure are one of the finest».

«Uh, thanks». How pompous.

Nicole stepped in, in an attempt to get the job done as quickly as possible.

«D, this is Caesar Van Schine. He's one of the representatives of the private company that will provide us with the security detail we asked for. He's come here to show us personally the bodyguards, right Mr Van Schine?».