chapter four

the library was rather empty today. y/n silently thanked the saints for making the rest of her day peaceful and stress-free, not only she aced the first quiz in the second semester but she was also chosen to be the representative in the upcoming divisional journalism contest; news writing.

her hand delicately went through from book to book, all were neatly organized in the huge and antique bookshelf of the library. the yellow-ish lights and the soft wind that entered through the huge window where she could spot the saturated clouds and leaves dancing through the air across the field only put her in a deep calmness and serenity. upon picking the book that piqued her interest, she sat on the stool of the huge window pulling aside the velvety curtain that was slightly blocking her view. the heavy rain already poured when she started reading.

minutes turned into hours, she was half-way through finishing the book when someone gently patted her shoulder. the interruption caused her forehead to crinkle, she turned around and saw ningguang from class b, the president of the student council, elegantly standing in front of her with a small smile plastered across her face. "y/n."

"uh, hey. what brought you here?"

"is the book interesting?"

"sorry?"

"is the book interesting?" the president repeated, her smile didn't vanish.

y/n stared at the book for a while before nodding, "yes, absolutely."

"i would love to read that someday. the cover is interesting — it reminds me of someone..."

"someone? who?"

ningguang chuckled, lifting her finger to her chin and thought about it for a minute. when she finally remembered the name, she spoke. "albedo, your classmate — not certainly about him, but the color of the book. light-blue, the color of his eyes, yes?"

something annoying ticked on her forehead, she bit her lips hard before nodding with hardness; she didn't want to show any rudeness to ningguang but the mention of the devil's name was just hard to ignore especially when someone keeps mentioning him to her. talk about bad luck, maybe the amulet wasn't working at all.

"really? his eyes look ordinary." she replied.