21: I Care

Music Rec for this chapter: Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper

___

It's been about two months since I talked to Billy. Other than that, life's been pretty good. I've hung out with Robin and Steve plenty of times and drive around in my car to see new places.

Billy and I have exchanged looks now and then, but he usually looks annoyed to see me. I see girls come to his house often, and when that happens, Max walks over to my house. It makes me mad that he is doing that to her. My brother used to do it too, and it was the worst.

Max sneaks me over to her room often. Once, Billy walked in, and we both pretty much jumped out the window. I show her different types of music and try to teach her how to play guitar. She's getting better at it!

It's now almost Christmas, and the middle school dance is tonight. I promised Max that I would drive her over. Max told me I could come over to her house because Billy most likely wasn't going to be there.

As I walk over, my palms get sweaty. What if Billy answers the door? I knock, and Neil opens the door. Even worse. 

"You must be Y/N?" he questions.

"That's me. Nice to meet you, sir," I smile.

I would give anything to punch this man in the nose, but I stay strong and continue to smile through the pain.

"Likewise! Nice to see Max is hanging out with a girl who has manners," he chuckles.

"Of course," I say.

He moves aside, inviting me in. I see Max and her mother standing in the bathroom. Max's mother is doing her hair, and when she sees me, she smiles.

"Hello! You must be Y/N. I'm so happy to finally meet you," she says.

"I'm glad to meet you, as well," I say.

I walk over to Max and smile.

"You look great!" I beam.

"Thanks," she smiles.

As I say that, Billy walks by and stops at the sight of us. He and I stare at each other for a while, and then his gaze moves down to Max. Max gives him the side eye, and he walks to his room.

"Done! Have a good time, Maxine," her mother says.

"I will," she responds.

Max and I walk out to my car, and she gets in the passenger seat. 

"So, what do we feel like listening to today, Madmax?" I ask.

"I'm not sure. Maybe we can just talk?" she says.

I start the car and nod.

"What do you want to talk about?" I ask.

"Well, I'm a bit nervous about this dance," she says.

"Why?" I laugh.

"I don't know! I'm wearing a dress. That's the first time Lucas is going to see me in a dress," she complains.

"You'll be just fine, Max. You're going to make them drop dead once you step foot inside the place," I state.

"Yeah, but what if-"

"No, what ifs. You look beautiful, Max. If Lucas doesn't like it, he's not worth your time. Let me tell you something, Max. Don't ever change. Don't change for me, your brother, your mother, your father, or everyone else. You, my dear, are badass, smart, humble, kind, and everything in between. Remember those qualities because if people tell you otherwise, brush them off. They aren't worth your time. Got it?" I assure.