12: Mini Me

Song recommendations for this chapter: Heart of Glass by Blondie + Call Me by Blondie

My mom drops me off at the arcade at 4 PM. I walk in and Keith hands me a vest with the arcade logo on it. He explains all of the rules and leaves me to myself behind the counter. I stand for about 30 minutes and I hear a familiar Camero pull in. I never told Billy I had this job so maybe Max is coming? I peek out the window and see Max flip him off as she walks in. 

Her face lights up when she sees me and she jogs over to me with her skateboard in hand. She pulls money out of her pocket and hands it to me.

"Hey Y/N! You work here now?" she asks.

"Yep!" I answer.

I hand her coins for the games and she takes them.

"What do you do here?" Max questions.

"Nothing other than hand out prizes and take people's money in exchange for arcade coins," I laugh.

She laughs along with me and asks, "do you just stay in the back then?"

"I could. Today is my first day and if anyone needs me they can just ring the bell," I realize.

"Sounds cool! Wanna come over and hang out with me later? Billy is being an ass and I really don't want to stay in the same house with him at night," she complains.

"Yeah sounds good! I'll sneak in through your window so he doesn't know I'm there," I say.

She smiles and nods and heads to the game Dragons Lair. I see two boys Steve introduced to me a year ago. We've grown close over the last year but I haven't had the chance to catch up with them due to school and such. I walk over to them but they don't seem to notice me. They are staring and I follow their line of sight. They're staring at Max.

"Are you guys Max's stalkers now?" I question.

I fold my arms and they snap out of it with a guilty look.

"We're not stalking her! We're just..." Lucas trails off.

"We're just observing how she plays the game," Dustin finishes.

"You guys suck at lying," I say.

Lucas rolls his eyes and Dustin nervously laughs. 

"How do you know Max anyway?" Dustin questions.

"Well, she lives across from me, and also her brother and I are friends," I answer.

"She flipped off her brother before she walked in here," Lucas says.

Dustin elbows him in the side and Lucas stops talking.

"So you are stalking her! Also, her brother can sort of be an ass. It's complicated," I respond.

Dustin shrugs but Lucas still stands curious.

"What do you mean...complicated?" he questions.

"It's not my place to tell you. Also, are you guys actually going to play any games in here or?" I say.

"Uhm..." they both say.

I roll my eyes.

"I'm just going to go tell Max you're here if you guys want to talk to her so bad," I say.

"No!" they both yell.

I put my hands up as if I was surrendering. I slowly walk back behind the counter and hand people more coins and prizes. I watch Max play now and then and I watch Lucas and Dustin spy on her. Before I know it, Billy pulls into the parking lot again but Max is too zoned into the game to notice.