34: We'll Meet Again

We all get in my car and drive to the pool.

"It can't be him," Max says.

"It is Max, but not for long," I reply.

We get out of the car and look at him from outside the pool fence. Billy is sitting in the lifeguard chair wearing a long white sleeve with shades and a hat. He also has a towel covering his legs.

"I don't know, he seems pretty normal to me," Max says.

"Normal? How many times have you seen him with a shirt on?" Lucas questions.

"I mean, it's a little weird," Max reasons.

"More than a little," Mike assures. "He was in a tub with ice. The Mind Flayer likes it cold. Plus, everything else-"

"But he's lounging at the pool, which is, like, the least Mind Flayer thing ever," Max protests.

"Not necessarily," Will starts. "The Mind Flayer likes to hide. He only used me when he needed me. It's like... you're dormant. And then, when he needs you, you're activated."

I turn my head back to Billy and sigh.

"Okay, so we just wait until he gets activated," Max states.

"No, what if he hurts someone?" Mike questions.

"Or kills someone," Will adds.

"We can't take that chance," I say.

"We need to find out if he's the host," Mike states.

Mike starts to walk away toward the pool.

"Where are you going?" Max asks.

"I have an idea. Boys only," Mike answers.

"Seriously?" Max and I say.

"Just trust me on this one," Mike says while walking away with Lucas and Will.

Max rolls her eyes, and then my eyes are glued back on Billy.

 ___

"Mike, are you here?" Max calls out into the walkie-talkie.

"Yeah?" He questions.

"Where are you guys?" Max asks.

"I'm coming. Just hold on a second," he says, annoyed.

"God, I hope it's not you," Max whispers. "I really hope it's not you."

I feel a wave of sadness wash over me. I hope it's not him either. I know that Max loves her brother more than she lets on. I can't imagine what Billy is feeling, if he's feeling anything, of course. 

"Max, remember when Will used morse code to represent that he was still in there?" I ask.

"Yeah, why?"

"Maybe, it's the same with Billy. He's still in there," I say.

She nods, and I return my gaze to Billy.

___

The plan has now started. El set up the dummy in the sauna, and I taped the walkie-talkie to it. I'm afraid of what will happen, but I know it's for the best.

We hide in a closet while Billy is in the shower. The plan begins, and El uses her powers to make the door slam.

"Pool's closed," Billy says.

El continues to make noises with her powers, and based on Billy's voice, he is getting angry.

"Hey!" Billy utters.