5.7: Day Seven - Back to Business

Start from the beginning

This was truly home.

"I hate how we have to go to work," Dominic grumbled under his breath as he emerged from the closet, his eyes barely kept open as he failed to keep his fingers steady whilst tying his black tie. I couldn't blame him, an hour and a half barely gave us the energy to boost us for the day to come as I too, however, was also at a zombie state.

"Let me get that for you," I called out. I took his tie and did it for him, his gaze could be felt focusing so intensely at me throughout the whole time, and by the time I was done, I looked up to be reunited with his pretty hazel eyes. A smile crept at my lips as I shyly asked, "Why are you staring at me like that?"

"Can I not?"

I shook my head. "It's disturbing," I teased.

"I'm just-" He paused and he reached out to hold my hands, lifting them slightly as he leaned down to mean them halfway and pressed his lips lightly at the back of my hand. "I'm just happy."

I mouthed those words in repeat to try and comprehend what he said, and hearing him say those words brightened my mood a heck of a lot as soon as they rolled off the tip of his tongue. And as much as I tried not to search for some hint of lie hidden in his gaze, there wasn't anything else to those words, no additional secret or double meaning. There was nothing more than honesty said to me in the most sincere manner straight from the heart.

I smiled and slipped my hands away from his, giving him a little giggle as I said, "Come on, Mr Walsh, we still have work to do."

"Yes, Ms Lawler," He mocked as I could hear him trailing behind me, our footsteps in sync as we marched left, right, left, right.

Everything felt different once we got to work. I mean, everyone did their routine as normal, but their expressions and the entire vibe at the workspace felt a lot more jolly. It was like everyone loved being at work. From the welcoming greetings from the receptionists to the interns and paralegals who confidentially spoke up for once, and they appeared less fearful of Dominic's presence compared to before. And before I made it to my office, I caught a glimpse of Erika prancing around in her office, though she was on the phone, she had a bright smile and looked like she had quite a conversation with someone on the other line.

"I'll talk to you later," Dominic said as he pecked my cheek, and when our fingers slipped away from the hold of each other's hands, I didn't feel the need to continue clinging on him. felt a lot better than before.

"Wait, where are you going?"

He peered over his shoulder as his body faced the direction of the stairs that led to the two large offices a floor up. He slightly tilted his head to signal the same direction and answered, "Your Father wants to see me."

"About?"

"That's why I'm going there, Annie," He chuckled. "To find out."

"Fine, fine," I replied while waving my hand to dismiss him, but just before I turned, he turned me back around as he leaned closer to my face and whispered, "I love you."

A giggle escaped me. "I love you too," And it felt mighty fine saying it without trouble brewing at the back of my mind.

We parted without another word and went on with our day. It was like nothing happened, like Nathaniel hadn't caused problems or that he even existed for that matter as everyone I saw walking around from the seat behind my desk had gone about their day like normal. An hour turned to two, then three and four, and even when others walked in and out my office, not once have I seen Dominic return from upstairs, not even my Father made an appearance, and neither did anyone else go up or down from those stairs. I got curious.