✖ 29 ✖

Maekayla's point of view

When I stopped running, I had ended up at a park. A bunch of little kids played on the playground and mothers watched them to make sure they didn't get hurt. Laughs, giggles, and gossip filled the area.

"Miss, are you okay? You're crying." A young girl asked as she tugged on the hem of my large shirt. "Mummy told me that people shouldn't cry and if they are, to make them smile."

"Has-Has mummy told you not to talk to strangers?" She nodded, her blonde hair swaying as she did. "Go run along, mummy would get mad."

"No she wouldn't. You're sad and I'm trying to make you happy." She said and smiled at me. "You're really pretty miss." She told me and I smiled as I wiped my eyes.

"Tha k you, you are too." I told her and crouched down. "Mummy might be worried about you sweetie, go play now. We don't want to get in trouble, do we?"

She shook her head and I nodded. "Go play then." I told her and she nodded, running away while giggling. Her cute little white dress poofed out a bit as she ran and her hair swayed back and forth.

I watched as she ran back towards, who I assume to be her mother, and then a little boy in khaki pants ran up to her. They shared a hug and I 'aww'ed at the kids.

That reminds me so much of when me and Michael were children.

I stood up and then walked away, looking around. "Kayla!" Someone said and I turned around. I saw Calum and he was doubled-over, panting for breath a few feet away from me. "You run so fast and for so long."

"I said to leave me alone." I told him and began walking away. "I want to be alone Calum." I told him but he turned me around.

"Princess, I know that is the last thing you want; to be alone." He told me and I blushed at the pet name. "Please stop pushing me away. You always do that, and it hurts me." He said and laced our fingers together.

"I can't help it. That's all I ever do. Push people away." I told him. "It's a form of self-defense. It's a habit." I told him and he pressed our foreheads together.

"There is no need for self-defense when you're around me Kayla." He told me. "I'd never hurt you. I wouldn't dare nor would I ever dream of it." He told me and I was quiet.

"Why did you run after me Calum?" I asked him and pulled away. "You could have let me go, no, you should have let me go." I told him and he shook his head.

"I couldn't. I was too terrified to let you run off alone after what she said. If I let you go, you'd do something reckless." He said. "I can't risk having you attempting to kill yourself again. You may not know it, but that hurts me and the other boys a lot."

"I know that now..." I said and trailed off. "Kind of..."

"Kind of?" He asked me and I looked up at him. "Please elaborate... what do you mean by 'kind of'?" He asked as he took a deep breath since he still hasn't caught his breath. He was still panting for air.

"So many people pretended to be there for me, and it's just, I'm used to people pretending. I don't know if you guys are pretending or not. I don't-"

He cut me off by placing his lips on mine. His soft lips were pressed against mine just as they were days ago and it was the best thing ever. I kissed him back as soon as they met mine and then he pulled away seconds later.

"Don't you dare think we're pretending." He said. "We love you. We need you. And we care about you. You're their baby sister, and they need you. I need you."

"If I'm their baby sister, what am I to you then?" I asked, surprising myself with my burst of confidence. "What do you see me as?"

"Let's just say, somewhere along the way, I think I fell for you and your beautiful smile, tearfilled eyes, contagious laugh, and even your pain filled sobs."