Chapter 1: Eloise at The Garden State Plaza

"I'm 19 but I'm oooooold for my age, I'm just born to be bad" -Mimi Marquez

"Omg that literally fits u perfectly" I exclaimed to the woman who came out of her dressing room to look at herself in the bigger mirror "very slay," I add as she turns again, looking at herself.

"U think?" she asked, turning to look at herself from a different angle.

The Free People in the Garden State Plaza smelled like Coachella– but had Woodstock in its mind. But, I mean, it works, nostalgia sel— wait, no, ew im not about tb here defending some corporation. Aaaaanyways lol here on a Friday in March where it is sf dark outside but in the large hall of dressing rooms it's very warm and aggressively bright. I do feel like with my name being Hollis McCoy and working at FP im born in the wrong decade type situation in that: my name is Hollis but I work at a Free People when I clearly should be working somewhere that makes sense like HOLLISter– which yes that literally was my twitter handle in hs until it got hacked/I gave my password to my ex once and then she went legit insaaaane and went in and started liking commenting and posting insaaaanse stuff. So I just got rid of it all tg. Probably for the best now i just keep to my trinity of ig, tumblr, and snapchat (which... before u drag, it is just bc my phone does not have enough storage for all of my pics sooooooo.) But no yeah, tbh tho, working at a mall in the 21st century is lol. As in, I don't really shop here— because like honestly Goodwill has stuff that is way better, and I always just feel bad participating in fast fashion anyways. Buuuut, the people that do pay my rent do shop here, which I then pay to my mom who actually pays our rent (*holds back a Rent: The Musical reference*).

"Ooooooo yeah. yes. So good. U should get it fs." i insured her. She did actually look so good, but also like when working in a mall i am pro pro capitalism!

"I want something that really matches the... y'know vibe of the night." she explained, holding out her arms to look at the rayon floral pattered dress she is trying on.

"So important," says Leah, my coworker who is like a version of Jade West but in therapy, sitting next to me stifling a laugh "vibes are important always" nods emphatically "where are you doing?" she asked in a voice uninterested in the answer.

"We're going to dinner," she started.

"Love"

"Then to see a show!" she finished.

"O obsessed!" I exclaimed a little over enthusiastically, my theater kid self showing lmao "Which one?"

"Chicago!"

Oooooof course it's Chicago but, "Hahaha hellll yeahhhhh," correcting myself I say excitedly, "heck yes."

"Yes im excited, I've actually seen in 22 times," she notes

My mouth literally dropped, "Oh...mygod, that's insane."

"---but my husband never has" she finished.

"Well this fit is perfect then. It is giving fullll Roxy Heart." said Leah putting clothes on hangers that was left on the floor of a dressing room across the hall. I thiiiink she was being genuinely being positive, but also again, malls, corporate clothing stores. Pro pro capitalism. You buy and pay so we get paid.

Ik, it's sick, I agree.

"Mmm totally" I agreed, folding a nondescript oversized Henley. As Leah hung up some floral rayon dresses to be put back in the right place by the front near the crocheted bralettes and next to the fringe leather.

"Okay yes," said the woman looking at herself again from outside of the dressing room booking at herself in the mirror from there, "im gonna get it!" she responded smiling, which made me smile. I may be an Aquarius (And a February Aquarius), but sometimes I do feel joy. I was kind of not feeling it today because the commute sucked–which, i guess all/every commutes do-but honestly with this the vibe had been found tg. (Btw, it was a black dress with lace at the top btw.... she really, really was Chicago realness.)