♡ Coquette Not Just An "Aesthetic"♡

Coquette is not just an aesthetic. It is not a trend, it is not a fashion style. It is a subculture, a lifestyle, a way of being.

I know that is dramatic but it really isn't. Coquette is based of girlhood, childhood if you will. Your childhood is what makes you in a way. Coquette is meant to be relatable not exclusive.  I see little parts of myself in all of these "types of coquette". People have to take into account that some of these so called "aesthetics" people have actually lived through. The classic Lolita aesthetic is not even anything new it's just 1950s American girlhood. There were little girls in America in the 1950s who dresses the way Dolores did. It's not made up.

And this is why I hate TikTok because they made this shit a trend. It's why I hate the leader of doelet. They made this something it wasn't. It makes me sick to go on TikTok because they made it all about materialism and Chanel perfume and Dior lip oil.
When it was never about that. That's why trailer park coquettes exist. It was based off someone's girlhood. And yes it's a romanticized version. But idk people tend to idealize their childhood.
Again not be dramatic but look at it this way. I'm someone who has had no sense of identity and is just recently realizing how traumatic my childhood was. That "brat/y2k/bubblegum" coquette aesthetic. Helps me ground. It reminds me of simpler times before all this messed up life stuff happened to me. It reminds me who i am.
Even the grunge coquette. That was me for a huge period of my life.
And it's sad to see TikTok make it all seem so surface level.

That's why when I introduce these "aesthetics" I introduce them as people. Because they are based off people in a way.

Another thing I'd like to point out is those lily rose dep, "i smoke cigarettes for breakfast" girls. Idk HOW they turned coquette into the Ed community but that was NEVER the point of coquette. I have know idea how those two even got associated with each other.

And probably what you've all been wanting to hear this entire book. I do not romanticize lolita the book or movies. It's sick point blank period. I do not love anything in that book. The only thing I liked was Dolores haze in the 1997 movie. That's it just character, not even that just her clothes.
I have zero idea of how to explain it. But everytime I see a picture or footage of her from that movie. It's nostalgic to me. Euphoric and sad at the same time. I can't relate to her experiences or even the way she dressed, or going to the dinner and drinking a milkshake while wearing gingham bandeau tops, while listening to a 1950s radio. I have experienced nothing related to her. But there is just something about the way they dressed her character that just is mesmerizing. Even tho I say it's just 1950s Americana when I look at real 1950s fashion it just doesn't have the same affect.
Young girls created this community because they related/aspired to dress/be like Dolores. And it turned out to be something more. It's not just about clothes or how you wear your hair. There is music, people, movies, hobbies etc. that go along with it.