XVII - The Enemy

Mulai dari awal

"I'll have everything ready as soon as possible, Counselor."

Merko's purpose was to capture Nicholas. As to the Science's crew, they would all be frozen inside their spacecraft and then taken to planet Life one month after the success of the mission, so that they could cause no problems. That was the plan that the battleship Star Hunter Captain's had in mind. Danger was on the way, and Sivoc's team had no idea.

* * *

As soon as Kenan's contact came to an end, Science's squad went back to New York.

Still gathered, they all talked about the matter and decided that the best alternative was to stay hidden. They would try to continue with the life they had been living so far in the big city, would be discreet and go back to their terrestrial shape. In the sake of their safety, they had left a recording system turned on in order to protect them from sabotage just in case Merko found their spaceship. Wolfie would be there in the ship too, to protect it from invaders. Drako was an excellent strategist who had always prepared something to surprise his enemies. And since Mirov wasn't a trustworthy man, he considered Star Hunter's crew his rival.

Now, more than ever, they had to be ready for battle. The enemy commander knew where their spacecraft was, and he was prepared for the hunt like a wolf would be.

* * *

The boy didn't want to stand around with nothing to do while they waited for the day to travel to Zara's planet. With hesitation, the leader of the team allowed him to find something to do if he was discreet and kept himself away from trouble, in order not to call anyone's attention, in particular their enemies.

That was something even more important now that they knew about Nicholas' telekinetic powers and he needed to keep them under control, no matter what. Allowed him to attend two physics classes to satisfy his desire. After all, the boy deserved something in exchange for his help.

Drako entered the University system and inserted the names of Zara, Nicholas, and Sanches so they could attend classes as visiting students. Zara would take care of them.

On the first day of class, Nicholas used the fictitious name of John Herinther and listened attentively to the explanations of the Quantum Physics professor, who showed the gravitational fields of the Theory of General Relativity. He imagined himself asking the master about evolution and his possible reaction when he thought that the human being would evolve into a being considered by today's society as an alien. For a few moments, he stared at the board and wandered in his thoughts:

"Professor, have you ever thought if man evolved following the tendency of the increase in the brain of the primate relatives from which we descend?" And the mutation of the dental arches due to the change in our eating habits, the reduction of fingers due to the use of robotics? Absence of nails due to mutations?

"Where do you want to go, boy?"

"What if by crossing the space-time bridge, we were able to return to the Earth's past using gravitational warp engines?" Have you ever imagined that flying saucers can be piloted by evolved humans from the future?

"Young man, this is impossible. You've got to be kidding," the physics teacher said, smiling. "It is only possible to travel to the future accelerating close to the speed of light. You have a very fertile imagination. Imagine if the extraterrestrials are us, humans? This is crazy!" He laughed for a few seconds.

Nicholas pondered in his heart:

"A few days ago, I would have thought so too."

He looked at Zara who had read his thoughts and touched both the arms of Nicholas and Sanches making his friend hear the telepathy as well.

The three smiled among themselves.

__________________________

Also read #ThePhantomMan Duology by #ChaieneSantos chaienesantoswriter