Xander worshipped his sister Feyre. He has two other sisters too, but they don't carry the weight of their house hold on their own. When Xander turned 13 he started taking some weight of her shoulders. Feyre has been taking care of her family since she was child. After her mother's death and losing the family fortune took a heavy toll on his father. His father never took care of any of them. It's always Feyre. She even tried to give private education to her brother. But the family didn't have enough money to pay. So, Nesta took it upon herself to educate her younger brother. He always thought nothing could shake Nesta. He admired her when he was a child, always with a straight face, never backing away without an argument. But when he saw Nesta doing nothing to help Feyre, his heart bled for Feyre. Elain is his elder twin sister. She is the most innocent soul one could encounter. You can always see her in the small garden in front of their cottage tending to her plants. They can't ask her come hunting with them, because she isn't made for hunting. Feyre and Xander understood that long ago. Xander too grew to resent his father for not being there for them when they needed him, not for taking care of them and dumping that responsibility on his daughter to care of his family including him.

"So, tell me. Why did you stop going for your mercenary training?" Feyre asked Xander. Xander always wanted to be a leader of some sorts ever since his family moved to the small cottage. He started training to become a mercenary when he was 14. He could climb up in ranks if he was successful. But he stopped going to training a month ago when the winter started and started doing small jobs for the villagers to make some money. Winter is hardest for them. He didn't want to be burden for his sister. He wanted to take care of her. "Nothing particular. I lost interest" he said as he adjusted the doe on his shoulders his hands became numb due to holding on to the doe's legs for too long. "Don't lie Xander. You always wanted to become some one respectful. You always wanted to help others. Besides Gavin told me that you were doing great in your training. Better than most" said Feyre her nostrils flared releasing puffs of smoke.

She knew exactly why Xander stopped his training. To do works and bring money to their house. She appreciated her brother for putting their family's needs in front of his. But she didn't want him do the same mistake she did. She wanted her brother to pursue his dreams. But everything she tried will be futile. Once Xander decides to do something he won't stop it. He set his family as his priority, he won't stop taking care of them. "I don't want to be a mercenary Feyre" Xander said again. Feyre sighed and dusted the snow on her brother's hair.

The sun had set by the time they exited the forest. Xander hid his discomfort of carrying a doe on his shoulders very well. His knees trembled, Not even the carcass could ward off the deepening chill. They both reached their cottage. Feyre yanked opened the door making snow and ice fall off and revealing the faded runes.

"Feyre, Xander" gasped Elain. She was standing before them in threadbare blanket bundled in its warmth. These are the times which made Xander resent his other two sisters. "Where did you get that?" The undercurrent of hunger laced Elain's voice. Feyre helped Xander lower the doe on the table. "Where do you think we got it?" Xander asked his sister. Voice hoarse, each words burning his throat as it came out. His father and Nesta were still sitting by the fire and warming their hands.

"Will it take you long to clean it?" Asked Elain touching her belly which is as hungry as the two who went for hunting. It's always got to be Xander and Feyre who has to get blood on their hands. Elain isn't born with a sneer on her face like Nesta. But she doesn't understand that she too can get blood on her hands. Xander on the other hand has been going with his sister Feyre for hunting since he can walk and run silently. Feyre tried to leave him at home but he always found a way to sneak out.

"What luck you two had today— in bringing us such a feast." Their father's deep rumble came from the fire. From beside him Nesta scoffed along with her brother. Not even trying to hide the discomfort they both have for their father. But at least Nesta didn't fill their heads useless talk of regaining their wealth like their father always do. Nesta would spend all the money she has not even trying to save some and rarely acknowledged her fathers limping presence.