Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

I was getting tired of Demetri and Caesar’s arguing, and I was weaker than I’ve ever been before.

“How do I know you won’t take her away and drain her yourself?” Caesar asked.

“How do I know you won’t leave her on the side of the road to bleed out?”
I slowly lifted my hand and placed it on Caesar’s cheek. The arguing immediately stopped and they both looked down at me.

“Stop.” I mouthed.

“But I want to make sure that you’re safe.” Caesar answered. I nodded in agreement, then gave him an apologetic look. “You don’t want to come with me, do you?” I shook my head. “Fine, I get it. You love him. I just hope you’re not making a mistake.”

Demetri picked me up and I winced from the pain. I stared at his face, trying to focus to keep myself awake. He looked serious and his sapphire eyes blazed.

“Stay awake, okay?” He said to me. “I can’t lose you. I don’t know what I’d do. We’ll be there in a minute.”
I felt a gust of wind on my face, then suddenly I could see the palace. I heard guards asking questions, but Demetri ignored them as he brought me inside.

“Demetri.” I managed to say. He looked down at me. “I’m… sorry.”

“Shh, don’t talk.” He said. “We’re almost to the medical center, okay? Just hold on a little longer.”

I closed my eyes and rest my head on his shoulder. I tried to stay awake for as long as I could, but I’m too tired. But I’m not going to slip away. I wouldn’t do that to Demetri.

~*~

I woke feeling more in pain than before. I looked at my surroundings and noticed carts of medicine and needles nearby. The room smelled of disinfectant. I placed my hand over my stomach where I was stabbed and felt a thick bandage.

“Ellie?” I heard Demetri ask. I looked over to see him standing by my bed. “Hey.” He smiled. “You scared me when you closed your eyes. I thought you had left me.’

“No. Of course not. I wouldn’t give up that easily. But what happened?”

“They did surgery. It was risky, but they couldn’t wait. You lost a lot of blood so they did a transfusion.”

“When can I get out of here?” I hate hospitals. They give me a weird feeling.

“Not until you start to heal properly. I wanted to give you some of my blood, but I’d have to sneak it. It’s not natural for a royal to spontaneously help a servant.”

What Demetri said to me in the woods earlier came to mind. Is he really going to tell his father? If so, it shouldn’t matter if he helps me.

“Demetri, you’re going to tell your father about us, right?” I asked.

“Yes, of course. I just want to make sure you’re okay first.”

“I’d feel even better if you told your father about us.”
“I will, soon. I promise. But for now, get some rest.”
“But…”

“No buts. I want you to get better as quickly as possible.”

“Fine.” I rolled my eyes and watched him leave.

The sooner Demetri tells his father about us, the sooner we can be together again. I trust Demetri, and I’m sure he’ll tell his father about us. But if he chickens out again, I’ve made a mistake again.

~*~

I woke up feeling a little confused at first. I then remembered I wasn’t in my room at the boarding house. I smelled the usual smell of cleaner and knew I was in the medical center.