18 | Open gate

"Bada...bada...boom." Dustin finished, pointing at Steve who shakes his head at him. "I was right. Skull ruck was north." Dustin continued, Steve rolling his eyes at him and shaking his head. "Seriously? You're serious?" he argued, Dustin nodding in agreement. "This is skull rock! Okay?" Steve shouted, Dustin humming in agreement again. "You're totally, absolutely, one hundred percent wrong. Right now!" Steve continued, everyone sighing at their childish argument. "How do you put up with these two all the time?" Eddie whispered to Y/n, confused as to how they were so calm. "You're able to tune it out after a while, don't worry, you'll learn." they joked, smiling at Eddie who nodded. "Yes. And no." Dustin finished, Steve sighing and holding his head in his hands as he swore under his breath.

"This compass worked correctly when we left the Wheelers'. It was correct when we got in the car on Curly, but it started to slip the further east we went. Now, it's way off. When I was leading us here, I wasn't wrong. The compass was." Dustin defended. "So, you're using faulty equipment, dude you're still wrong!" Steve bickered. "Except it isn't faulty. Do any of you remember what can affect a compass?" Dustin questioned, mainly looking at Lucas and Y/n. "An electromagnetic field." Y/n answered, Dustin grinning at them. "I'm sorry, I must've skipped that class." Robin commented, looking at Y/n to carry on and explain. "In the presence of a stronger electromagnetic field, the needle will deflect towards that power. So, either there's a super big magnet around here, or...there's a gate." Y/n explained, Dustin pointing and grinning even wider.

"But we're nowhere near the lab." Nancy thought out loud. "But what if, somehow there's another gate? A gate that we don't know about. It'd have to be smaller, way less powerful." Dustin finished, looking at them and hoping at least this one time, they'd trust him. "How? Why?" Steve questioned, gaining a shrug from both Y/n and Dustin. "No idea. All I know is that something is causing this disturbance, and the last time that we've seen anything like it, it was a gate. And I hope it is because then we'd have a way to Vecna. And a shot at freeing Max from this cure." he explained, walking back down the trail. "Where are you going? Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey. Eddie's still a wanted man, we can't just go for a hike in the woods." Steve excused, Y/n shrugging and agreeing. "This little steel capsule might be the key to saving both Max and Eddie." Dustin brought up, the group talking amongst themselves but most of them agreeing.

"What say you, Eddie the banished?" Y/n questioned, smiling at the metalhead next to them and standing up. "I say you're asking me to follow you into Mordor, which, if I'm totally straight with you, I think is a really bad idea. But, uh, the shire...the shire is burning...so Mordor it is!" he grinned, taking Y/n's hand to help him up and grabbing his things. "What is Mordor?" Steve asked shaking his head but following after Dustin who was then followed by Max and Lucas, Robin and Nancy and then Eddie and y/n who walked last, hands intertwined.

------------------------

"Dustin? Can you slow down? Dustin!" Y/n shouted, sighing and tugging Eddie along with them, running after their brother. "Watch your step, big guy." Eddie said, pulling Dustin back before he stepped into the lake. "Oh man, you gotta be shitting me." Steve grumbled, looking at the lake. "I thought these woods were familiar." Eddie groaned, Y/n hooking their arm with his. Robin stepped forward and gazed out. "Lover's lake." she breathed out. The group stood there, unsure of what to do. "This is confounding." y/n whispered, looking at their genius of a brother. Max shook her head, struggling to process it. "There's a gate in Lover's lake?" Max questioned. Nancy gasped, getting everyone's attention. "Whenever the Demogorgon attacked, it always left an opening. Maybe Vecna's the same way." Nancy suggested, all of them looking at her in a mix of confusion and terror. "Yeah, only one way to find out." Steve reminded.

Eddie pulled the tarp off the boat, looking at the other adults. Him and Steve bent down, pushing the boat out. "Easy. I... I said easy, man." Steve attacked, Eddie widening his eyes and huffing. "Sorry, dude." he apologised as Robin stepped in, using their heads to balance herself. "I'm just gonna do that, thank you." she said, stepping in and sitting down. "Yeah, that works too." Steve mumbled under his breath. Eddie got in, offering a hand to Y/n. "Henderson." he winked, Y/n smiling softly, taking his hand and stepping in, standing next to him. They helped Nancy get in as Eddie held his hand up to Dustin. "Hey, hey, hey, only four of us, okay?" he said, Dustin pulling a face. "It's better this way, okay? You guys stay here with Max. Keep an eye out for trouble." Nancy said, shrugging as Dustin scoffed at her, getting Y/n's attention. He stepped back. "You keep an eye out!" he retaliated, Nancy looking at him in confusion. "Dustin." Y/n called sternly.

"It's my goddamn theory!" he argued as Y/n looked at him. They grabbed his hand, taking the compass out. "You heard Nance. Plus, you're still a child and as a responsible sibling, I'm putting my foot down and you're staying here." They said, Dustin looking at them with wide eyes and his mouth open. "You're lucky you're even out here, Dustin Henderson. I'm not putting you at even more risk." they finished, turning away to signify the conversation had ended and it was not up for debate. Steve chucked the backpack at Dustin, who stumbled as he caught it, before Steve climbed in. "You said four!" Dustin huffed as Steve shrugged, shouting a 'sorry!' to the younger boy.

------------------------

"Woah, woah, woah, woah, slow down. Slow down, guys!" Nancy said, all of them stopping as she glanced at the compass which was flickering. "They're stopping. What are they stopping for?" Lucas questioned, holding his binoculars up. "Guys, what's going on?" Dustin questioned, speaking into his walkie-talkie. "Uh, Dustin, your compass has gone from wonky to wonky with a capital 'ahh!'." Robin informed him as he lowered his walkie-talkie. Steve started taking his socks off, and then his shirt. "Steve, what are you doing?" Y/n questioned, looking at him in confusion. "Somebody's gotta go down and check this thing out. Unless one of you four can top being a Hawkins High swim co-captain and a certified lifeguard for three years, then...It's gotta be me." he said, watching as Y/n opened their mouth, having been captain for the girls team and also a lifeguard. "Apart from you y/n, Dustin would kill us if anything happened to you so, no complaints, all right?" he said, standing up and getting ready to jump over. Eddie sat back and watched him. "Hey, I'm not complaining. I do not wanna go down there." he said, pulling out the bag he kept in his pocket, holding some cigarettes.

"Ugh. When'd Steve get so hairy?" Lucas questioned, still looking through his binoculars. Dustin chuckled and agreed. "Right? I keep telling him he needs to tame that jungle, but he claims to ladies dig it." Dustin informed him, Max asking for the binoculars and the boys sharing looks as she just stared out, not handing them back. Eddie wrapped the flashlight with the bag, holding the packet between his teeth. "Hey, good luck." he said, Steve thanking him before diving overboard. Eddie held a cigarette up to his lips, pulling his lighter out as Y/n took the cigarette off him, chucking it into the lake. "Gross." they commented, Eddie frowning at them. "You guys realise, if there's a gate down there, it's technically a water gate." Dustin joked, chuckling at his own joke while Max and Lucas stared at him disappointed.

"Down by the water!" an officer called, the three teens eyes widening as they heard it. Steve came back up, scaring Robin in the process and making her shout. "Oh Christ!" she exclaimed catching her breath. "I found it! I found it, yeah, I found it." Steve repeated as Eddie grabbed y/n's hand and squeezing it. Steve grabbed the side of the boat, clinging on to it while he caught his breath. "Dustin, you are a goddamn Einstein. Steve finally found the gate-" Y/n said, Dustin turning his walkie off. "Cops. Shit, shit, shit." Max mumbled, grabbing both of the boys. "We can't let them find Eddie-" Dustin started before being pulled along. "Stay with me." Max said, running off. "Hey officers! Over here, I found the killer! this way!" she shouted, going the opposite way.

"It's pretty wild, it's more of a snack sized gate than the mama gate, but still, it's pretty damn big." Steve said before he was yanked down, the group all screaming and clamouring to the side. He came back up before looking down and then up at them again, before being pulled down and through the gate. "No! No! What the hell was that, man?" Eddie shouted while Nancy, Robin and Y/n all called his name. "Nancy, what really happened?" Robin shrieked while Eddie kept repeating 'Jesus!'. Steve was pulled through, a vine wrapped around him, dragging him along all the other vines and the stone floor, scarring his back. "Get back here, you little rats!" the officers shouted, chasing after the three teens. Nancy stood on the side of the boat. "Wait, wait, wait. You're not going in there, are you?" Eddie asked Nancy who smiled weakly at him. "Just wait here." she instructed jumping in after him, causing Robin, Y/n and Eddie to all now scream after her. "Goddamn it!" Eddie bellowed.

Dustin tripped over a root, Max and Lucas going back to help him, but it was too late, the officers already helping him up. Robin sat on the edge as Eddie tried to reason with her, Y/n giving up. "No, no, no, no, no, no. What are you doing? She said wait." he pleaded, Robin nodding to signify she heard her. "She's in charge!" Eddie tried to use, but Robin chuckled and smiled at him before turning to Y/n. "Are you kidding me? I made that shit up." she said before pushing herself in, swimming to the gate. "Goddamn it! Why you...son of a bitch!" Eddie shouted before turning to Y/n who stood up. "You're having a laugh, no Y/n/n, we are not going in there, oh, this is so stupid, this is so stupid!" he rambled while Y/n took his hand, counting to three before leaning back so they'd go in and he'd follow.

"Shit, shit, shit!"