5| Aftermath

Max groaned, waking up with a headache. It was happening way more recently, seemingly getting worse every time. She got and walked to the kitchen, grabbing the pills from the top cabinet, putting a few in one hand and turning the tap on with the other. She cupped her hand for some water, putting the pills in her mouth and then the water, allowing her to swallow them. She walked out the front door, hearing the dog bark and police sirens getting louder, stopping outside the opposite trailer. Eddie Munson's trailer. Her mother came out a few minutes later, stood behind her and her arms folded, also watching.

"Looks like that Munson boy's up to no good again." she commented, Max not responding but looking over in a mix of concern and horror. Max carefully walked over, making sure not to gain too much attention. She stood on her tip toes, moving around and looking past heads where she caught a glimpse of what was inside. Chrissy was led on the floor, presumably dead. "Hey!" An office said, turning her around making her gasp. "You can't be out here, get back inside." he demanded as Max turned around, taking one last glimpse of the scene. "Back inside." he repeated, Max jogging back over and going into her trailer.

-------------------

Steve looked at Y/n rolling his eyes which earned him a punch on the arm for being so mean. Robin had been stood with Vicki during the championship games and she had finally spoken to her - even if it was a tiny conversation. "Then, Vicki laughed. And it wasn't like a cheap, fake laugh either, it was like...it was a real, genuine laugh." Robin explained, unable to contain her excitement as she out films down. "Of course, she laughed Robin, it's my muppet joke, it's hilarious!" he retorted. "Steve!" Y/n groaned from the desk, glaring at him and sending Robin a smile. "My point is, that Vicki laughed, and everything was just like...It was perfect!" Robin gasped, following Steve around like a lost puppy as he stocked shelves up. "But?" he started, knowing there was something coming. "But I'm having this problem where it's like, I should stop talking. I have said everything I need to say but then I guess I get nervous, and the words they just... they keep spilling out, and it's like my...my brain is moving faster than my mouth, or...or rather my mouth is moving faster than my brain. And it's like I'm digging this hole for myself, and I want to stop digging, I'm trying to stop, but I can't. And I'm doing it right now, aren't I?" she rambled, Steve leaning on a shelf and y/n listening, head in their hand on the desk. "Yeah, you are." Steve grinned as Robin sighed.

"I'm hopeless." she groaned, earning a chuckle from Y/n. "Eh, we both are." Steve huffed, pressing his back to the poster next to Robin. "If only we could just, like, combine." Robin said, Steve looking at her like she was crazy. "Combine?" he questioned, not understanding fully. "No, think about it. I know exactly what I want, and I've found the girl of my dreams, but I just can't get the courage to ask her out. Meanwhile, you go on...like a million dates. And you have no idea what you want! So, if we just combined, all our problems would be solved. Because I mean, alone, let's face it..." Robin paused, Steve following alone. "We totally suck. The only person around here who's had some luck is y/n." he mentioned, y/n pipping up at the sound of their name. "What? With who!" they scoffed, rewinding the tapes on the desk. "A certain Metalhead. You know, your brother really can't keep his mouth shut." he teased, y/n rolling his eyes and sticking their middle finger at him. "I think I found our morning movie. Doctor Zhivago!" Robin said, running over and picking it up. "You know I don't do double VHS." Steve groaned, going back behind the desk. "It's about doomed love!" Robin argued as Steve raised an eyebrow and nodded his head. "Oh, well, that's relatable." he joked, Robin nodding. They walked to the back where y/n had moved to, watching the news. "Holy shit..." Y/n mumbled, eyes widened.

"We're in Forest Hills trailer park in east Roane County. We don't have a lot of details now, but we can confirm that the body of a Hawkins High student was discovered early this morning, Police have not released the name...although we are told they're currently in the process of notifying the family."

---------------------------------------

Dustin sat with his mother watching the news at home, confused and nervous. He knew Max lived in that area and although they may not be as close as they were for some unknown reason, he still was concerned for her. The doorbell rang, Dustin opening it to find Max, a sigh of relief leaving his body. max greeted his mother before they went up to his room, Dustin quietly shutting his door as they both sat on the floor. "It was Chrissy..." she said quietly, Dustin looking up. "Chrissy Cunningham? You're sure it was Chrissy?" he asked, getting up and pacing around. "Yes, in her cheerleader outfit. It was the same thing she was wearing when I saw her with Eddie." Max responded, certain of herself. "Did you tell this to the cops?" Dustin questioned, Max shaking her head no. "I can't be the only one who saw them together. I mean, they stood out!" Max huffed, also now pacing.

"Eddie the freak with Chrissy the cheerleader?" he said, still not believing it. "Exactly. You know, his name's not in the news yet or anything, but I guarantee you Eddie is suspect number one right now." she suggested, Dustin gasping. "That's crazy. Eddie didn't do this, no way! No. way." Dustin defended. "Well, we can't rule it out!" Max argued. "Yes, we can! You don't know him like I do, Max! Okay? When we got to high school, Lucas made all his sports friends, Mike and me? I mean, no one was nice to us. No one except Eddie! He even got Y/n's approval!" Dustin informed her, Max still not buying it. "Okay, well, they said the same shit about Ted Bundy. yeah, he's a super nice guy, but then he's murdering women on the weekend." she finished as Dustin rolled his eyes at her, his hands in fists. "So, you're saying Eddie is like Ted Bundy?" he said, holding his hands up to his face. "No, I'm not saying- I'm saying that we can't presume anything, okay? But it doesn't look good for Eddie. " She admitted, Dustin lumping on his bed.

"Why haven't you told the cops this?" Dustin wondered, looking up at the redhead. "I... I don't know." Max huffed, avoiding his gaze. "You don't know?" Dustin repeated confused. "After I saw Eddie and Chrissy go in the trailer...something else happened. My lights started flickering and so did the TV, I didn't know what was happening. Eddie ran out screaming and into his car, driving off somewhere. Eddie always drives like a maniac, and the power goes off at my place all the time. It's a piece of shit. But...this morning, I started to think back, and... I don't know." she paused. "The look on his face, he was scared Dustin. Really scared. Maybe he was scared because, you know, he...he just killed someone, or...maybe, um, maybe...because, I don't, I don't know, maybe..." she stammered, trying to find the right words. "Something else killed her?" he suggested, Max nodding. "That's impossible...right?" she questioned, Dustin not looking at her. "I don't know, it should be. There's only one person who knows what actually happened." Dustin said, Max nodding.

"Eddie."