Chapter 32: The Diviner

"What do you mean?" Sen asked, worry and anxiety beginning to build up. The longer this took...

Tsukiyoru hesitated a moment before he heaved out a long, heavy sigh, "Listen, we have been having a problem with yokai recently, and on top of that, we have also been finding that the Sayonakidori getting involved in our domestic affairs. The Gyoubu has been heavily involved in making sure we maintain order here."

"The Sayonakidori?" Sen glanced back as Maru stepped forward to stand beside Aoi. He wasn't familiar with the sect on Kyushu, but meddling in the affairs of local daimyo wasn't what usually happened...

Tsukimatsu scoffed, "Those black clad bastards! Ever since they showed up here, they've only ever been causing problems. They raided the tomb of Watatsumikome! Raided it! Pillaged the damned thing, stole her sword and her coral magatama!"

"The tomb is the least of our concerns," Tsukiyoru continued, prompting a stunned look from his father. "Though she may be a large part of Kyushu's local legends, Watatsumikome is dead. I am far more concerned about the yokai and the hunters who should be stopping them deciding to cause problems for some of the lords in our employ."

Maru knew that the yokai had to have been part of the group led by Namikionna. Her quest to reclaim ancestral land - or rob it from whoever owned it now - was what had driven her blood-fueled rage across the land. The Sayonakidori had guessed that much, and now it seemed like they were right. Maru glanced over his shoulder at Naoyuki, who flicked his eyes to him with a small nod, before Maru turned back to Tsukiyoru, "My lord, if you'd like, we could potentially help you with the yokai. I am part of the Sayonakidori, and if my people have been causing trouble for you, then I am honor-bound to make things right."

The revelation of his allegiances made Tsukiyoru tense up. His father seemed more annoyed, but Sen saw the jitou's jaw clench as his eyebrows furrowed slightly, "I was unaware that you had begun travelling with nightingales, Ojisan."

Aoi snorted, "Trust me, not my choice. He seems decent enough. We're here on behalf of the big yokai, after all, and this one here believed that giving him a chance to get healed form the Rot was a better alternative to straight murder."

Maru pretended like that didn't sting a little bit, and from what he could tell, it didn't seem to assuage any of his fears in the slightest. Before the conversation could continue, the low rumble of thunder broke through the distance and prompted everyone to look skyward. "We can discuss this over dinner," Tsukiyoru decided as he turned back to survey the group. "For now, we need to get inside before the weather hits."

---

All throughout the dinner, Sen couldn't focus. A heated discussion had broken out between Nobuhiko and Naoyuki about something pertaining to the nature of samurai, Yuzuha, Emi, and Hachirou had become engrossed in Aoi's regaling the table of his exploits in his youth, and Hashi had been eating happily beside him, content with the world.  In spite of all of it, he felt like his head was swimming in a fog. His thoughts were jumbled and he almost felt like he was drifting off to sleep.

Yet there was a... pull, he decided. He kept having his attention drawn outside where the sky had darkened considerably as a massive storm seemed to be rolling in from the ocean.

"Will you be charging for this operation?" Tsukiyoru was asking the question to Maru nearby, though Sen could barely process what was being said.

"No. Consider this a courtesy contract."

"Hey, speak for yourself. If I'm going in on this, I need something," Naoyuki snapped beside him. "Magoichi has been getting on my ass for not taking payments enough!"