Chapter 9

Melek Sultan

"Mother, I am fine! You don’t need to feed me so much. I am not a little baby! I don’t want to eat dinner anymore!"

"Demir, you must eat to recover! How will I live without you? Do you know how worried I was about you when you got hurt by the fire and arrow? Anyways, did your brothers and sisters visit you today?"

"Yes. They visited me alongside their mothers but Mahidevran Sultan had an argument with Mihrişah Sultan because Mustafa raised his voice at Mihrişah Sultan. Me and my siblings were very scared. Also they fought over this woman who visited our fathers chambers. I think her name was Sadika."

"Mustafa raised his voice at Mihrişah Sultan? How dare he! See Demir, Mahidevran Sultan has been obsessing over the fact that Mustafa will inherit the throne one day. And now it has gotten into Mustafas head, so he now acts like his mother. You should be more careful from now on."

"Mother, you shouldn't worry about me, you should worry about my baby brother or sister!"

"I will try my best to protect you and your sibling. You should rest now! It is getting pretty late."

"Mother, before I go to sleep can you tell me a bed time story? Ayşe Halime Sultan told me one when she took care of me!"

"Of course, my Şehzade! I would do anything for you!"

I told him a bed time story and he fell asleep imediately. I went out of the room and went to the room of the Valide.

"Valide Sultan! How could you send Sadika to the Sultan when his son could have died?"

"Melek Sultan! How dare you speak  like that to me? I am the Valide!"

"Validem, If you truly cared for any of the Hasekis or grandchildren, you wouldn't have sent Sadika on halvet."

"Melek Sultan, what is that supposed to mean?"

"You will see soon."

I left the Valide Sultan dumbfounded and I stormed out of the room to see where Mahidevran was

I left the Valide Sultan dumbfounded and I stormed out of the room to see where Mahidevran was. I went to her room.

"Melek Hatun, what brings you here?"

"Mahidevran, how dare you teach your son to behave badly to Mihrişah Sultan?"

"Melek Hatun, my son defended me from that snake! I raised him well, however I cannot say that for your son."

"Mahidevran Sultan, did you forget that I am a Haseki? You should address me according to my title, just as I am doing right now. Also my son knows well enough that he shouldn't raise his voice at a Sultana. Even though they are not his mother, he treats them as his mothers and they treat him as their son and I treat their children as if they were mine. I thought you would get wiser over the years but it turns out you get dumber each day!"