Twenty.

*** Bradley's POV ***

I stood at attention with my arms folded in front of me as my medical records, now the size of a phone book, sat in front of Admiral Simpson at his desk. My heart was pounding so hard I could feel it in my ears, and I was becoming increasingly warm. This was the day that I had been waiting for for so long; the decision of if I was going to be allowed to return to full duty. These past couple of months of being at home with Jordan and Charlotte is something that I didn't even know I needed until it happened, but the Navy is a part of me and who I am. Jordan understands that and supports me one hundred percent. She always has.

"Lieutenant Bradshaw," The words I hadn't heard in about nine months filled the room. "How are you doing this morning?"

"Given the circumstances and the cards that I had been dealt after the accident, I'd like to think that I'm doing alright, sir. Maybe better than ever," I spoke as I still stood at attention. I'd gotten really good at looking fine on the outside but freaking out on the inside. "Have you had a chance to review everything that I've been asked to do?"

Simpson's eyes wandered down to the phone book sized medical record and my file with the Navy before they wandered back up to me. "Yes. We've reviewed everything including the military ordered evaluations. Given that this is a unique situation, it's taken some extra time because we want to prevent it from happening again."

I stood there trying to keep a straight face. I had so much I wanted to say, but I didn't even know where to start. I'd been working so hard over these last couple months to get cleared so that I could come back. "Yes, sir," were the first words that came out of my mouth.

"Lieutenant, we've decided that you've been cleared to return to full duty," It was so hard to keep a straight face that I didn't even feel bad for smiling at that moment. The amount of relief that washed over me was unlike anything I'd ever felt. "We feel that what happened was truly an accident, and after careful consideration, effective immediately, you're cleared to return and fly once again."

"Thank you, sir. Thank you so much," I said as I shook his hand when he stood up. "You have no idea how much this means to me. And my family."

"We can see that you've been working hard, not just mentally, but physically. It's tough being on leave and being away from everything, but you've handled it well," Simpson said as he picked up the records to go put them away in my file. "You're dismissed for now, Lieutenant. You can go pick up your uniforms on the way out, and we'll see you back here tomorrow morning."

I nodded and shook his hand again, going out of the room to the locker room where there, in my locker, untouched since they'd all been cleaned, were all my uniforms. I stood there admiring them for a second before it really hit me that I was allowed back in the skies. Smiling to myself, I picked up the hangers and held them over my shoulder with my fingers in the hooks.

It was still pretty early in the morning, so it surprised me when I walked in the house that Jordan was awake and making something to eat.

"Hey!" She smiled when she looked up and saw me. "I wasn't expecting you home so early! I'll make you something, too. How did it go?"

"I've been cleared," I said as a smile crept across her face while tears formed in her eyes. She rushed over to hug me and I wrapped my arms tightly around her. "I can return to full duty starting tomorrow."

"That's amazing, baby," She said as she cupped my cheeks in her hands before standing on her toes to give me a kiss. "I'm so proud of you. You've worked so hard for this."

"I couldn't have done any of it without you. You never gave up on me and stood by me when I needed you the most," I said as my own eyes welled up with tears as I kissed her again, resting my forehead against hers. "I owe it all to you."

"Just promise me you'll be safe," She said as she met my gaze. "Promise me, Bradshaw."

"I promise."